Oct 29, 2012, 1:52 PM EST
This is not the way the San Antonio Spurs want to start the season.
Manu Ginobili will not travel with the Spurs to New Orleans for the season opener due to ongoing back issues, reports Mike Monroe of the Express-News. Ginobili’s back will be reassessed on Thursday. Which implies this could last a while longer, which isn’t a shock as Ginobili has battled back spasms for a long time.
Some teams struggle when key players get injured, but the Spurs aren’t one. They’ve played a lot without Manu over the past few seasons, they trust the system and know how to win without him. They have won a lot without him.
And that kind of structure and comfort within it is something hard for young teams like the Hornets to deal with.
- Thursday night NBA grades: Gerald Green just couldn’t seem to miss 0
- After rough shooting night LeBron says he’s “not a big fan” of sleeved jerseys 4
- Spurs get a little revenge, along with season’s signature win in takedown of Heat 21
- Suns’ rookie Alex Len takes to court with #prayforukraine on shoes 18
- Paul George wants LeBron James to be his mentor 41