Oct 29, 2012, 1:52 PM EST
This is not the way the San Antonio Spurs want to start the season.
Manu Ginobili will not travel with the Spurs to New Orleans for the season opener due to ongoing back issues, reports Mike Monroe of the Express-News. Ginobili’s back will be reassessed on Thursday. Which implies this could last a while longer, which isn’t a shock as Ginobili has battled back spasms for a long time.
Some teams struggle when key players get injured, but the Spurs aren’t one. They’ve played a lot without Manu over the past few seasons, they trust the system and know how to win without him. They have won a lot without him.
And that kind of structure and comfort within it is something hard for young teams like the Hornets to deal with.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 0
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 2
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 10
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13