Oct 29, 2012, 10:34 AM EST
Go ahead and rub your eyes if you want, but you read the headline correctly.
Eddy Curry, he of the checkered NBA history who was waived by the Spurs a few days back has not only been claimed by the Dallas Mavericks but also apparently he is jumping straight into the starting lineup.
Remember that next time you read a quote from Mark Cuban about how well he thinks this team is going to do.
Dallas opens the season Tuesday against the Lakers and their massive front line anchored by Dwight Howard. Dallas is without Chris Kaman who is still injured. So, Curry to the rescue? That’s the plan, if only because the Mavericks have no other options. From the Dallas Morning News.
“He’s doing OK,’’ Carlisle said. “He’s a force in the paint offensively. We’d like to get him more active defensively and rebounding a little bit more. But his attitude has been good, and he’s worked hard to get himself in pretty good shape.’’
Curry admitted the defensive end of the court will be his biggest chore.
“Every team has a different scheme,’’ he said. “And I’ve never really been considered a great defender anyway, so it’s a constant challenge for me. But it’s something I’m willing to work on. I’m still learning everybody’s name around here. I think every day it’ll get better.’’
Just as an aside, the Mavericks will also be without Dirk Nowitzki for the opener.
So to recap: no Nowitzki and no Kaman so Dallas is going with Curry against the Lakers with Howard and Pau Gasol. Make any wagers accordingly.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 3
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 12
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20