Oct 29, 2012, 8:41 AM EDT
Lakers fans are not exactly a patient group. Win a game by 10 and talk radio the next day in Los Angeles has fans calling in saying it should have been 20. The Lakers can’t just win games, it has to be done with flair. Some Lakers fans will not be satisfied until the Lakers win two NBA championships a season.
So the Lakers 0-8 preseason has some fans on edge. It shouldn’t.
In what is likely a futile effort, Dwight Howard is telling Lakers fans to slow it down. Be patient. The NBA season is a marathon not a sprint. And the Lakers are in it for what’s at the end of the race. From the Orange County Register:
“I know everybody wants it right now, right now,” Howard said Sunday. “But we want to win in June, that’s what counts….
“We don’t expect to win every game and be 82-0,” Howard said. “But we do expect, say by midseason, that everybody will have the offense down pat and we’ll be flowing.”
It’s what a lot of us have been saying — I want to see the Lakers after the first of the year. Then I’ll have a better sense of who they really are and how good they really can be.
Until then it’s all talk.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 29
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 31
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18