Oct 29, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
Jeremy Lin is gone from New York, which led to a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth among some Knicks fans. He was their savior midseason, the guy who helped turn the team’s season around, a guy the fans related to and loved and now he is in Houston.
Deron Williams thinks the Knicks are better off that way.
Williams is the other point guard in New York — William’s Nets play the Lin-less Knicks on Thursday — and he thinks the Knicks upgraded, he told the New York Post.
“I would say Raymond Felton is a better point guard than Jeremy Lin, in my opinion,” Williams said. “Well, he’s just proven. I can’t go out and say that … [Lin] had a heck of a run.
“The numbers he was putting up were All-Star type numbers, when he was starting. We’ll see how he does this year. But going off of track record? I’m going to go with Raymond Felton. And Ray probably had his best year [with the Knicks] … that half year he was there, he was averaging like 17 and nine. He definitely likes the bright lights, and they’re a good team with him.”
Felton is more experienced and probably fits better in different kinds of offenses. Lin has more potential, more upside if you feel like using the draft-night cliché, and he is fantastic when put in the pick-and-roll and asked to play in a specific system.
With what Woodson wants to run, they may be better off with Felton — he has chemistry with Amare Stoudemire (when he comes back) and can fit into the offense better as a spot up guy when Carmelo Anthony has the ball.
If we are just talking about right now, Felton could be better. But three years from now? That could be a very different story, but the price was too high for the Knicks to gamble on the outcome. So Lin is a Rocket.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)