Oct 29, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Jeremy Lin is gone from New York, which led to a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth among some Knicks fans. He was their savior midseason, the guy who helped turn the team’s season around, a guy the fans related to and loved and now he is in Houston.
Deron Williams thinks the Knicks are better off that way.
Williams is the other point guard in New York — William’s Nets play the Lin-less Knicks on Thursday — and he thinks the Knicks upgraded, he told the New York Post.
“I would say Raymond Felton is a better point guard than Jeremy Lin, in my opinion,” Williams said. “Well, he’s just proven. I can’t go out and say that … [Lin] had a heck of a run.
“The numbers he was putting up were All-Star type numbers, when he was starting. We’ll see how he does this year. But going off of track record? I’m going to go with Raymond Felton. And Ray probably had his best year [with the Knicks] … that half year he was there, he was averaging like 17 and nine. He definitely likes the bright lights, and they’re a good team with him.”
Felton is more experienced and probably fits better in different kinds of offenses. Lin has more potential, more upside if you feel like using the draft-night cliché, and he is fantastic when put in the pick-and-roll and asked to play in a specific system.
With what Woodson wants to run, they may be better off with Felton — he has chemistry with Amare Stoudemire (when he comes back) and can fit into the offense better as a spot up guy when Carmelo Anthony has the ball.
If we are just talking about right now, Felton could be better. But three years from now? That could be a very different story, but the price was too high for the Knicks to gamble on the outcome. So Lin is a Rocket.
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 0
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 4
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 4
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars