Oct 29, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Jeremy Lin is gone from New York, which led to a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth among some Knicks fans. He was their savior midseason, the guy who helped turn the team’s season around, a guy the fans related to and loved and now he is in Houston.
Deron Williams thinks the Knicks are better off that way.
Williams is the other point guard in New York — William’s Nets play the Lin-less Knicks on Thursday — and he thinks the Knicks upgraded, he told the New York Post.
“I would say Raymond Felton is a better point guard than Jeremy Lin, in my opinion,” Williams said. “Well, he’s just proven. I can’t go out and say that … [Lin] had a heck of a run.
“The numbers he was putting up were All-Star type numbers, when he was starting. We’ll see how he does this year. But going off of track record? I’m going to go with Raymond Felton. And Ray probably had his best year [with the Knicks] … that half year he was there, he was averaging like 17 and nine. He definitely likes the bright lights, and they’re a good team with him.”
Felton is more experienced and probably fits better in different kinds of offenses. Lin has more potential, more upside if you feel like using the draft-night cliché, and he is fantastic when put in the pick-and-roll and asked to play in a specific system.
With what Woodson wants to run, they may be better off with Felton — he has chemistry with Amare Stoudemire (when he comes back) and can fit into the offense better as a spot up guy when Carmelo Anthony has the ball.
If we are just talking about right now, Felton could be better. But three years from now? That could be a very different story, but the price was too high for the Knicks to gamble on the outcome. So Lin is a Rocket.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29