Oct 29, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
The rumors have been swirling for days. Delonte West‘s time with the Mavericks was coming to a close and we only need to wait for the official announcement. Well, it seems that announcement is here.
The Mavericks have informed the NBA office of their 15-man roster and Delonte West is not on it.
West will be officially waived, reducing the Mavericks’ roster to the 15-man maximum.
West’s release comes on the heels of two suspensions from the team in past two weeks. Multiple accounts claim concern that West’s actions could negatively affect the younger players on the roster and that what got him suspended in the first place was simply “Delonte being Delonte.” I can’t tell you what the latter means but it certainly implies the Mavs have seen it before and aren’t inclined to see it again.
So West is now a free agent and will be looking for work like countless other NBA veterans who have been cut loose over the last several days. A team will need to decide if they want to take a chance on his talent and will weigh that versus the risk of any distraction his presence may cause. As of this moment I’m sure NBA front office men are seriously considering bringing him in. Others won’t go near him. Such is the life of an NBA player deemed a malcontent. At some point you become too much trouble for even your talent to overcome.
Whatever happens with West in terms of the NBA, though, I hope he can find some peace in the world. After being diagnosed as bi-polar, having his run-ins with the law, and the general sense that things weigh heavy on him in his everyday life I’d like to see him find some stability. Obviously that didn’t happen with the Mavs but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen somewhere else. Be it in the NBA or not.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14