Oct 29, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
The rumors have been swirling for days. Delonte West‘s time with the Mavericks was coming to a close and we only need to wait for the official announcement. Well, it seems that announcement is here.
The Mavericks have informed the NBA office of their 15-man roster and Delonte West is not on it.
West will be officially waived, reducing the Mavericks’ roster to the 15-man maximum.
West’s release comes on the heels of two suspensions from the team in past two weeks. Multiple accounts claim concern that West’s actions could negatively affect the younger players on the roster and that what got him suspended in the first place was simply “Delonte being Delonte.” I can’t tell you what the latter means but it certainly implies the Mavs have seen it before and aren’t inclined to see it again.
So West is now a free agent and will be looking for work like countless other NBA veterans who have been cut loose over the last several days. A team will need to decide if they want to take a chance on his talent and will weigh that versus the risk of any distraction his presence may cause. As of this moment I’m sure NBA front office men are seriously considering bringing him in. Others won’t go near him. Such is the life of an NBA player deemed a malcontent. At some point you become too much trouble for even your talent to overcome.
Whatever happens with West in terms of the NBA, though, I hope he can find some peace in the world. After being diagnosed as bi-polar, having his run-ins with the law, and the general sense that things weigh heavy on him in his everyday life I’d like to see him find some stability. Obviously that didn’t happen with the Mavs but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen somewhere else. Be it in the NBA or not.
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 0
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 0
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 14
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 40