NBA players react on twitter to James Harden trade

Oct 28, 2012, 8:41 AM EST

When James Harden was traded to the Houston Rockets Saturday night, just like you NBA players had their reactions. Just like you they took to twitter.

Here are some of their reactions, starting with Kevin Durant. Who is a company man and isn’t going to go and rip management, but didn’t really praise the move. Read into it what you want.

1. nbascreed - Oct 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I know most people won’t like this, but I’m pretty high on Jeremy Lamb, he has a nice handle, is a legit 6’5″ and has a nice stroke. Obviously Harden is better for the Thunder now, but if Presti and the Thunder Basketball Development Team can do with him what they did with Rusty and James Harden, I would expect Lamb to turn into a stud 2 guard. The 2 guard position in the NBA is very old and it’s hard for me to even name 3 legit 2 guards under 30 (I’ve got Ray, Wade and Kobe in my top 5).

I like it, I think it hurts this year, but if Lamb can get his bearings they’ll be in good shape.

• eventhorizon04 - Oct 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I think most would agree, Jeremy Lamb + 2 first round picks + 1 second round pick are all good pieces for the Thunder’s future.
      I’d also throw in Perry Jones III as well as another guy to watch.

I could easily see OKC being better off in 2 years because of this trade, due to the development of Lamb and Jones, plus savvy draft choices.

However, I’m not a fan of the trade because I don’t believe a team should ever take anything for granted. OKC wasn’t perfect, but they were good enough to be the reigning Western Conference Champions and came within 3 games of being the NBA Champions. No matter anyone might try to say now, Harden was OKC’s third best player, and trading him away for a less versatile 2-guard (Martin) hurts the team this year.

I still think OKC is a top-3 seed, but it’s harder for me to see them beating the Lakers now (see what I wrote below).

• Mr. Wright 212 - Oct 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

As a UConn fan, the kid has all the ability in the world, but the effort isn’t there most of the time. Hard to count on a guy like that to pick up the slack for a guy who was in 6th gear on both ends for OKC in his role.

2. eventhorizon04 - Oct 28, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Kudos to Malik Allen for pointing out something very important – some people keep saying, “What’s the big deal? Martin can make up for Harden’s scoring.”

That’s probably true, though Martin has been dealing with injury-issues and has become less efficient (shot under 42% last year).

However, Martin is a pretty bad defender. Now, Harden isn’t exactly a member of the All-Defensive First team, but he is a solid defender.
    That dropoff on the defensive end becomes a big concern if Thabo Sefolosha (an excellent defender) ever gets into foul trouble against a team with two talented guards (say, the Lakers), meaning OKC is stuck with Westbrook defending Nash (good matchup) and Martin defending Kobe (eeeeek!).

Not to mention the loss in all the playmaking Harden did….

3. nbascreed - Oct 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Ha…I thought that said Kenyon Martin (it’s early after a long night). It’s Kevin Martin…the Thunder are good. In addition to my Lamb analysis…Kevin Martin is a ready made scorer who can close whatever gap they have with losing Harden. He’s not Harden but this is a good deal. Actually Morey is the one who bears all the risk now. Harden is at the top of the scouting report (he was 3rd and the 3rd perimeter which meant he was getting even less attention from top perimeter defenders). Now he gets the most athletic 6’5″-6’7″ guy EVERY NIGHT in his jockstrap with no Rusty or KD to take the edge off.

DMX one of my favoriter 90′s rappers had a saying “you asked for it and you got it” let’s see it James!!

4. 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM

OKC fans weren’t the only ones their team havevthr middle finger to last night. They also gave the middle finger to Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. Those two loyal and innocent kids were just taught a serious lesson about what they mean to their owner. And when their contacts are up, they’ll remember.

5. kvanhorn87 - Oct 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM

With westbrook and Durante there for next 5 years, their own #1 pick next year and 2 more, they will be stacked again soon. Don’t forget the draft is how they built this team. They have pieces to get up in top of draft too if they want. Big move to acquire a new stud next yr and two solid players now. Great trade!

6. dls612 - Oct 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I had a feeling that he would be traded but not this soon. the thunder could have some what rented him for most of the season and depending on how deep they make it in the playoffs but I feel like the thunder was insulted by his rejection to that 52 million deal they offered and so they traded him! They definitely wasn’t gonna let him go without getting something back! So…..

7. rocirius - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM

OKC made out well. They got much more out of Harden than the Magic got from Howard. OKC will still contend this year and should make the finals. Presti is the best GM in the NBA, although he did luck into Durant. I shudder when I imagine what Presti and the OKC front office would accomplish if they were running things for a free spending franchise such as NY or Brooklyn.

8. wowwowbad - Oct 29, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Malik Allen is a so so player but this time he’s damn right !

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches