Dwyane Wade’s playlist: Jay-Z, 2 Chainz… John Mayer?

Oct 28, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

First things first — do not ever get your hair cut on a basketball court. Ever. Even if you are Dwyane Wade. Even if they put a tarp down. Those hairs are going to get on the court and be a bear to clean up.

While Wade is getting his hair cut he talks musical playlist and what he listens to before games in this video. You knew Jay-Z and Kanye West were on the list. Then from there it is solid — 2 Chainz, Common, I can even respect the Coldplay call.

But John Mayer? Tell me that’s a Gabrielle Union thing. Please.

Anyway, that is Dwyane Wade talking music while getting a haircut before his next commercial shoot. And you think the Heat might have lost some focus…

Hat tip to the All Ball blog at NBA.com.

1. phaden27 - Oct 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Could of been worse, could have been John Denver.

• elComandanteenJefe - Oct 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

All I Want for My Birthday is a BIG BOOTY HOE!!!

2 Chainz and Kanye

• phaden27 - Oct 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM

To be fair, so do I.

2. acdc363 - Oct 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

SMOKIN ON DAT GAS

3. stayhigh_247 - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Honestly, I dont know how to take that. John Mayer is perhaps the best songwriter out right now. Wade is a grown man, do you expect him to listen to Waka Flocka all day? I can’t believe you took the time to write this crap Kurt.

• 24thesho - Oct 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Gabrielle Union….., that’s how you should take that.

• akmgiants - Oct 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

john mayer sucks. and i listen to all kinds of music, he is by far NOT the best songwriter out there

4. therealgts - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM

You are going to rip Kurt and say wade is a “grown man” meanwhile your sign in is “stayhigh_247″ Come on man

• 24thesho - Oct 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM

It’s kind of a take off on an ol’ skool NYC “tag”, as in…. graffitti, but, you wouldn’t know ’bout dat now, would ya?

• stayhigh_247 - Oct 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

thank you sir, not many people would even catch that. these dudes are super lame sometimes..

• 24thesho - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM

4 real!

• stayhigh_247 - Oct 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM

didn’t your mama ever tell u not to judge a book by it’s cover? or an athlete by the music he listens to, bonehead!

5. charlutes - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

cool…oh wait, who cares. sports media is the new e talk, its just celebrity worship B.S.

6. illmatic8582 - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I think this article is somewhat offensive. Why do we have to know that Wade listens to Jay and Kanye? Is it because their friends? Black? If he was friends with actors, would Wade have to have seen all their movies?

Now why is it a shock that he listens to John Mayer? All kidding aside Mayer’s music is amazing. I think he Mayer was black or Wade was white, this article would never see the light of day. Just saying…

• 24thesho - Oct 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

No, I don’t think it’s because “their” friends, but it could be that “they’re” friends, though. But I do think Jay-Z is pretty dope, whatever one’s race happens to be.

• illmatic8582 - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM

So you’re going to take the role of the grammar police, yet use the word dope? I kind of expected you to use a word like enchanting or something…

• 24thesho - Nov 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Touchè.

• 24thesho - Nov 16, 2012 at 4:46 AM

It’s a slang term. Get over it. Remember when the slang word “dis” was restricted to the “hood”, and now we hear senators and congresspeople use it to decribe exactly suppose it was suppose to mean. So, yeah, I used it, and that term is even outdated by 20 years, at least.

• 24thesho - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM

“Dope” is an expression, a slang to decribe something as great, or very good. Grammar has nothing to do with the word, fool. Now the word, “fool”; how’s that for “grammar” and the use of a comma in that last sentence? Were you impressed by that?

• akmgiants - Oct 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM

mayer sucks

7. 00maltliquor - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Kurt, I think you meant; Jay-Z, …..2 Chainz??

8. nbascreed - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Kurt, please stop denigrating otherwise good artist b/c they don’t fit with your stereotypical notion of what you think inner city bred (for the most part) NBA players SHOULD be listening to. I am one of those inner city bred hoopsters and I’ve got a couple John Mayer songs on my phone. When I heard Wade say he loves Gravity, I thought “me too” it’s a very mellow bluesy song with a helluva story.

In case you’re wondering it’s cool to like John Mayer, what’s not cool is to secretly like something but denigrate it in public b/c you think others will lambaste you for it. Be yourself Kurt.

9. mazblast - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

This is #1 on my Sunday list of “Things Nobody Should Give a Fig About”.

What’s next? LeBron’s favorite window cleaner? Kobe’s top brand of car wax? KG’s favorite McDonald’s Value Meal?

• 00maltliquor - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:50 AM

This comment is awesome!! ^ ^ LOL!

10. isujames - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:36 PM

What song does John Mayer sing? If I could hit G Union every night you could get me to listen to the Country music station while im doing the hee haw in gator boots with a cowboy hat on lol.

11. rocirius - Oct 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM

John Mayer isn’t bad, but he aspires to be as good as John Denver (RIP) was.

12. londonps - Oct 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM

John Mayer is extremely talented

13. abasketballthing - Oct 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

John Mayer is probably the best musician out of that list, and even if he wasn’t, it wouldn’t matter. Wade’s favorite singers could be Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, and that still wouldn’t make him less of a man or a basketball player, as you seem to suggest.

14. mrfloydpink - Oct 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Wow, illmatic is right, this post is pretty shockingly offensive. Because he’s a young black man, it’s acceptable for him to listen to rap, but not ok for him to like a white singer-songwriter? I mean, I can’t believe that someone is running around making a living as a basketball writer, and yet still thinks about things in such stereotypical ways. I’m a 38-year-old white guy; can you please advise what music is ok for me? Should I be deleting the Kanye West songs from my iPod and replacing them with Garth Brooks? Am I allowed to keep my Eminem songs? I mean, he’s a rapper on one hand, but on the other hand he IS white. Please illuminate me.

• Kurt Helin - Oct 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Wow. You found this offensive?

For the record, I am white and about your age. I’m good with Coldplay. I have tickets to see Mumford & Sons in a couple weeks. My problem with Mayer is I think his music sucks. That’s not a race thing, it’s a taste thing.

15. Miami305 - Oct 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM

What? Blacks can’t listen to good music? Oh, I get it, to be truly black you have to only listen to rap, hip hop and R&B. Wade must be one of those uncle toms. That is what this article is insinuating.

• mytthor - Oct 29, 2012 at 12:54 AM

No it isn’t. He gave him credit for Coldplay and they’re 10 times “whiter” than Mayer. It’s a really dumb article but there wasn’t anything racist here. However, it seems like your suggestion was that rap, hip hop, and R&B aren’t good music.

16. mytthor - Oct 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I don’t understand the “I can even respect the Coldplay call” but then you’re going to crap on Mayer? I don’t particularly love his music but he’s probably the best technical blues guitarist since SRV, and Coldplay is the most lackluster boring band this side of Maroon 5.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches