Oct 28, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
We all knew Anthony Davis was potentially a very special player — some scouts graded him out as the best player in years, better than Blake Griffin or a host of other recent No. 1 overall picks. But he was supposed to be a bit of a project on offense, a guy with potential that would take a little while to find how to put up points at the NBA level.
No, he can do that now. All preseason long he has put up big numbers.
That includes 24 points (and 11 rebounds) against the Heat. Yes, it’s the preseason, but 24 and 11 is still 24 and 11. Do that as a rookie and you turn heads.
“He’s going to be a heck of a player,” James said, who finished with 19 points, eight rebounds and four assists in Miami’s final preseason game. “He showed it tonight.”
Heat coach Erik Spoelstra compared Davis to Tim Duncan (something a number of scouts did as well, because of the all-around game both possess). Spoelstra also told a story that summed up why Davis is special.
During the 2010 lockout, Spoelstra had more time on his hands than he knew what to do with, so he set out to visit (Kentucky coach John) Calipari and attend one of his practices in Lexington. Spoelstra had heard the hype about a 6-10 phenom freshman named Anthony Davis so he kept his eye out for a bruiser underneath the rim.
Spoelstra couldn’t find him so a scout who sat behind Spoelstra had to point Davis out. It was the guy who was bringing the ball up and down the court.
“That’s him?” a stunned Spoelstra asked. “Obviously, I was really impressed,” Spoelstra recalled before Friday’s game. “He’s very, very, very skilled. You noticed that right away.”
Davis is going to have a very good rookie season. Maybe a Rookie of the Year season. But in three or four years he will be a force of nature and one that will lift the Hornets up high in the West.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85