Lamar Odom says he doesn’t think he’ll be ready for opener

Oct 27, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT

Lamar Odom AP

Lamar Odom was expected to be a steal for the Clippers — they needed frontcourt depth behind Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan and if the former Sixth Man of the Year could return to form them could provide that and more.

Well, he can when he’s on the court.

Which may well not be season opener next Wednesday against Memphis. Odom bruised a bone in his foot against the Heat in China a couple weeks ago and hasn’t even practiced with the team since then. And this was not a guy who showed up to camp in peak shape to start with.

Odom himself told the Los Angeles Times he may not be ready to go in the opener.

“I don’t know,” Odom said Thursday after sitting out the Clippers’ final preseason game. “I want to. But I’ve got to be a mature Lamar and realize what this team is really trying to do….

“So, however my body responds the next five or six days, then that will be my guide,” Odom said. “I’ve got to take this body on a test run in practice, take it for a couple of turns around the corner to see how I feel…. I know myself. I can go out there with adrenaline and play well and then be saying ‘ouch’ the next day.”

This can post a challenge for the Clippers against the big front line of Memphis — without Odom they have little depth along that front line.

The Clippers second game? The Lakers. Another team with a monster front line.

But Odom is right, the season is a marathon. He can’t push himself for the first two games. But the Clips will miss him.

1. charlutes - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM

lol, the guy who has been a whining cancer to his team since he left the Lakers is supposed to be a steal…OK bud.

2. jbones77 - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM

The only stealing going on is Odom stealing money. What a joke.

3. rocirius - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM

The Clippers should have kept Kenyon Martin and passed on Odom.

4. therealhtj - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM

He will, coincidentally, be fully available to cash his check.

5. sportsnut101 - Oct 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM

He like the fake t.o of the nba. T.o actually played to his level

Trade him to china for Tracy mcgrady

Odom just can’t play anymore. The whiner is mad he not on the lakers

6. eugenesaxe - Oct 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Odom not ready to do the job he’s paid for? Alert the media!

7. 00maltliquor - Oct 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Wow man, what happend to L.O.?? He fell off harder then that prom queen you went to school with 4 kids and 10 years later!

8. nomorsacbball - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM

pathetic. I don’t know how anyone would waste time on this softy. physically and emotionally weak.

9. BigBeachBall - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Odom is just trying to figure out how he’s going to underachieve on this team…. Give it some time….

10. abchome - Oct 28, 2012 at 7:18 AM

As long as he’s not a cancer to the team, which is not going to happen with strong leaders like CP and Billups etc on board, it’s OK.

11. mazblast - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

He’ll play when his chubby Kartrashian wife tells him he’s ready.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches