Oct 26, 2012, 12:31 AM EDT
Kings fans — a city of people that has rallied around their team in an effort to keep them in town — David Stern has some advice for you:
Just keep supporting the team like you have and then blindly hope for the best.
Not exactly reassuring, is it
When asked about the Sacramento situation during a Thursday press conference, the NBA Commissioner (for another 15 months) said that in the long run a new arena needs to be built. And while the current owners — the Maloof family — have stood in the way of those arena plans you should still support your team.
“Well, I think that there are many people who appreciate the fact that Sacramento was, is, and can be a first class NBA city,” Stern said. “It is true that it needs a new building. We have our differences of opinions with all of our owners, and in this case with the Maloofs on some of the issues that have gone down here. But my advice to Sacramento is to continue the enormous support that you have shown for the team, and we’ll see what the next steps turn out to be.”
It’s amazing and impressive the way Sacramento fans continue to rally around this team in spite of the owners. A lot of fan bases would have walked away by now, and at some point even these fans are going to grow tired of being kicked around.
And Stern’s words? Not that encouraging. It continues to sound like the NBA has thrown up its hands in frustration with them.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13