Jordan didn’t exactly like Barkley calling him out

Oct 26, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT

Tahoe Celebrity Golf AP

Charles Barkley is a lot of things, but one of them is forthright. He’s going to tell you what he thinks. No matter who you are or what you think of him.

Barkley and Michael Jordan are tight, but that didn’t stop Barkley from saying Jordan was bad at running a team. Which evidence points to being true, whether you talk Wizards or Bobcats.

Barkley called Jordan on it on national television, then Jordan called Barkley on his cell phone. I’ll let you take a guess as to how the uber-competitive Jordan takes to being called out. Barkley was on ESPN Chicago Radio with Waddle and Silvy and described how that conversation went (via Sports Radio Interviews).

“I thought my name was S.O.B and M.F., like damn, I couldn’t even say anything. I said, ‘Dude I can’t get on the radio and tell people you been doin’ a good job.’”

“He’s relying on our friendship and I said, ‘Dude, I love you, you one of my best friends, period. You been there for me, I been there for you but.’ I think he got mad; he surrounded himself with people. One of the really difficult things about being famous, all your friends, you’re paying all the bills, they’re flying around on your private jet, very few of your friends are ever gonna disagree with you. And I think that’s the thing he got most mad about, ’cause I mean his record speaks for itself and I wanna see Michael do well, but I think that was actually an example when he thinks you’re supposed to be with him no matter what. But dude, you gotta get better people to wear on you if you’re gonna be successful. … You gotta have friends around you who [are] not afraid to say, ‘Oh that guy can’t play.’ And we’re cool now.”

Barkley’s description fits with other reports. The Bobcats scouting staff would spend a year watching and looking at film of players, then Jordan would come into meetings after the NCAA tournament and say “I want this guy, he’s a winner.” And nobody would say anything because he was Michael Jordan. And you see what they built.

With Rich Cho in as general manager there seems to be a direction. And that direction has to be up because they couldn’t be worse, but give Cho a few years and a few drafts and you’ll start to see a team the people of Charlotte will want to go see.

Even Charles Barkley. From Jordan’s box.

1. dickclydesdale - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Michael has so much success as a player that he thinks his way is the right way. Criticism by anyone is a blow to his stubborn ego. This is why the best players in any sport don’t succeed at running a franchise.

• The Prophet - Oct 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

it’s more about the type of player he was that doesn’t translate well into building a team. Jordan was a guy was uber-talented and scored and played great defense. He was not a field general, he was not analyzing his teammates he was looking to take the shot and win and he just wanted people to do their share. He never had any input into specific players unless there were personality issues, but he never struck me as a guy who would be perfect to build or coach a team. I could see someone like Magic who is more well-rounded on being an active leader, but Jordan was just scary good as a player that’s all.

2. misterdreamer119 - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Isnt he the owner. Who cares 4/5 of the nba teams are garbage, wont watch it. Give me 20 squads max with talent all around.

• phaden27 - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Doesn’t watch the NBA.
      Comments on an NBA news web site.

• eventhorizon04 - Oct 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Doesn’t watch the NBA.
        Comments on an NBA news web site.

AND expects people to respect his opinion about how the NBA could improve, which is the funny part.

“I don’t watch baseball, but here are 15 changes MLB should make.”

3. dls612 - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:43 PM

If it was someone he needed to hear it from it was definitely Charles! Michael has been surrounded by a lot of yes men!

4. dwirk - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM

MJ is super sensitive about everyone and everything. Dude was still talking about being cut from the high school during his hall of fame speech. Someone give this clown a hug, tissue and a couch and listen to his problems

• sellahh - Oct 26, 2012 at 8:22 PM

If MJ is super sensitive then I guess I’m walking dead …

• badintent - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Calling Dr. Phil Brown, report to the psyc ward, TW wing we have a new patient, Micheal Jordon. Patient exhibits extreme insecurities, has ultra-competitive nature, must win in everything, but loses $$ millions is casinos, golf bets, ping pong and ex-marriage payments.Demonstrates “micro-management ” control freaking while Bobby cats losses pile up. Advise Isiah Thomas to meet for initial debriefing, follow up with frontal lobotomy. Phil Knight will donate old Nike shoes for self image restoration.Old High School coach that cut MJ will bring peace pipe to smoke.Dali Lama will conduct Buddha ritual to ensure harmony with Robert Parrish.

5. money2long - Oct 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

goshhh this team really needed anthony davis..and i was hoping they landed him. well anyway, if jordan truly loves challenges, he has found himself a juicy one with charlotte. i hope he succeeds. it’s not good when the NBA’s best all time product (MJ) is the face of something marginal..and that’s putting it generously

6. lawrinson20 - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

1. Just because a guy can score and win on the court doesn’t mean he’s intelligent or has the appropriate mental acuity to succeed on other frontiers. Mike just isn’t the brightest egg in the drawer. He’s no rocket surgeon. Just look at what he does every day when ‘making decisions':

I wouldn’t give a guy like that the keys to the car, much less control of a franchise.

2. His name is on the ‘Air’ franchise, but I gotta wonder how much control he has there. Nike can and does put his name on the most garish of rubbish and tacky, intellectually-challenged fanboys will line up for it. Doesn’t mean Mike’s a good binnisman. Assuming so is like saying Madonna must be an amazing singer because she’s sold a brazillion records.

3. Chuck is right about a lot of things. Except when he’s wrong. In this case, he’s 100% on the money. Sycophants pave the road to failure. Just ask George Lucas. No, don’t ask him. He’ll deny it.

7. 1historian - Jan 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I wasted 5 minutes of my life reading this silly story and the equally silly comments

And I’ll NEVER get them back

sigh

8. jollyjoker2 - Jan 31, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I would like to see the nba shrink to get better talent on all teams remaining. As much as I would like to root for the locals, it doesn’t make sense if you don’t have the top 4-7 players in the league, you can pretty much kiss any chance of an nba title away. I would rather see the old bulls against the celts or pistons rather than charlotte taking on the timberwolves or some other lame matchup.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches