Oct 26, 2012, 5:32 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
Right before the season starts is when a lot of players who were invited to camp are cut free, and will be off to the D-League or Europe. A number of those cuts lead off our And-1 Links today:
• The San Antonio Spurs waived rookies Wesley Witherspoon and JaMychal Green.
• The Cleveland Cavaliers signed D’Aundray Brown but are expected to send him to the D-League.
• Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist and huge NBA fan Flea (who did one of the more interesting Star Spangled Banner renditions I have ever heard) wasn’t allowed to see the OKC Thunder locker room, because… I don’t know why, but he calls them “Noveau riche.”
• If you’re looking for a good season preview to read, you’re not going to do much better than the Hardwood Paroxysm 2012-2013 Season Preview Guide.
• Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak talks about how it all came together in Los Angeles this summer.
• In case you missed the news, the NHL’s Islanders are moving in with the Nets in the Barclays’ Center in Brooklyn. But if they move off Long Island do they have to change their name? Probably not, the Jazz didn’t when they left New Orleans for Utah.
• Watch and NBA game and you’ll see more and more players following Dwyane Wade‘s trend and using Court Grip. This is certainly a bit of an ad, but you’ll get a sense of what it is and does this video will tell you. And as players are always looking for an edge (real or imagined), they are flocking to this.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 3
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 17
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17