Oct 26, 2012, 10:34 PM EDT
It’s becoming a close contest, what do I want to hear least: Another Obama/Romney attack ad or more back and forth between Ray Allen and the Celtics.
Ray has consistently said that basically he didn’t feel wanted by the Celtics — they had him coming off the bench (which is he doing in Miami anyway), he called the contract an insult (it was twice what he took in Miami) and he was tired of feeling like he was on the trade block (Boston offered him a no-trade clause in the new contract). Boston made its offer but by that time the bridges had been burned. He didn’t feel the love and Miami was courting him with all Pat Riley’s charm. So now he plays for the Heat.
Anyway, Doc Rivers was on The Felger and Mazz Show in Boston (video below courtesy CSNNE.com) and talked plenty more about Allen and his split with the Celtics.
“Ray was great here, and he made the choice to leave. And that’s where he should leave it and we should leave it. It’s like I said today, when we play them on Tuesday we’re not going to be trying to stop Ray. We are, but we better focus on LeBron and Wade and I hope this game doesn’t become a Celtics vs. Ray, because if our guys think that way we won’t win, I can guarantee you that. But I am disappointed (about the talk back and forth) and he made a choice. Do I think it was the wrong choice? I absolutely do. I think at times he feels that way himself. That’s the way I’d like him to think at least. But at the end of the day I want him to do well I just don’t want him to do well against us.”
On his relationship with Ray Allen:
“I didn’t think it was bad, but maybe I’m the last to know. It didn’t help when I decided to start Avery (Bradley), obviously. But as a coach you make choices. You worry about people’s feelings but you worry more about the team. If anything, Ray probably didn’t like that. I’ll probably always look at myself first. Ray wanted the ball more, things like that. It’s like I tell my guys ever year, ‘If you’re here for me to run stuff for you look good then you are in the wrong place.’”
Rivers said he and GM Danny Ainge tried to call Allen during free agency but their calls weren’t being returned.
“Listen, if you’ve been with my team, with me for five years, or four years, and I gotta be here every 10 seconds in free agency then you probably don’t want to be here.”
I wish Rivers would have gone with his first thought and just left it there after one sentence. Make this stop.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50