Doc Rivers talks more about Ray Allen. Lord make it stop.

Oct 26, 2012, 10:34 PM EDT

Doc Rivers AP

It’s becoming a close contest, what do I want to hear least: Another Obama/Romney attack ad or more back and forth between Ray Allen and the Celtics.

Ray has consistently said that basically he didn’t feel wanted by the Celtics — they had him coming off the bench (which is he doing in Miami anyway), he called the contract an insult (it was twice what he took in Miami) and he was tired of feeling like he was on the trade block (Boston offered him a no-trade clause in the new contract). Boston made its offer but by that time the bridges had been burned. He didn’t feel the love and Miami was courting him with all Pat Riley’s charm. So now he plays for the Heat.

Anyway, Doc Rivers was on The Felger and Mazz Show in Boston (video below courtesy CSNNE.com) and talked plenty more about Allen and his split with the Celtics.

“Ray was great here, and he made the choice to leave. And that’s where he should leave it and we should leave it. It’s like I said today, when we play them on Tuesday we’re not going to be trying to stop Ray. We are, but we better focus on LeBron and Wade and I hope this game doesn’t become a Celtics vs. Ray, because if our guys think that way we won’t win, I can guarantee you that. But I am disappointed (about the talk back and forth) and he made a choice. Do I think it was the wrong choice? I absolutely do. I think at times he feels that way himself. That’s the way I’d like him to think at least. But at the end of the day I want him to do well I just don’t want him to do well against us.”

On his relationship with Ray Allen:

“I didn’t think it was bad, but maybe I’m the last to know. It didn’t help when I decided to start Avery (Bradley), obviously. But as a coach you make choices. You worry about people’s feelings but you worry more about the team. If anything, Ray probably didn’t like that. I’ll probably always look at myself first. Ray wanted the ball more, things like that. It’s like I tell my guys ever year, ‘If you’re here for me to run stuff for you look good then you are in the wrong place.’”

Rivers said he and GM Danny Ainge tried to call Allen during free agency but their calls weren’t being returned.

“Listen, if you’ve been with my team, with me for five years, or four years, and I gotta be here every 10 seconds in free agency then you probably don’t want to be here.”

I wish Rivers would have gone with his first thought and just left it there after one sentence. Make this stop.

1. allthewaylive1 - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Give it a rest Doc! We all know what happened…

• lphboston - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Doc is a terrific coach who would be out of a job less than five minutes if he wanted to leave Boston. The grreat thing about Rivers is he can answer a questiuon honestly and the players are OK with it. And Rivers is right — you play the players that give you the best chance to win. Allen just couldn’t accept that Bradley beat him out of a job. His feelings were hurt. Tough. This is pro sports. Equal playing time is for youth sports. Allen might get a ring (2?) in Miami, but he’ll know that he is just a hanger-on. He could have stayed in Boston and done the number-retirement thing in a few years, and if things broke right he might have been able to add another title or long playoff run. Or at least fought the noble fight. He’s lost a lot of the good will he established in five years in Boston.

• pantsfreezone - Oct 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Boston fans are so annoyingly stupid.

You phased the guy out of the offense. Tried to trade him twice. And now you act all butthurt and angry because Ray wants to play for a team that wanted him, plans on using him in crucial situations and is giving him a bigger, better role in Miami. Not to mention he has a chance to win a ring, rather than barely making the playoffs like Boston this year.

Screw Boston. You are the worst fans in America, bar none.

2. thestewman3 - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

“Ray wanted the ball more, things like that. It’s like I tell my guys ever year, ‘If you’re here for me to run stuff for you look good then you are in the wrong place.’”

Yeah, Doc Rivers is all class. Yesterday he says “Will late Ray keep talking”. Today he’s saying that Alan wasn’t a team player.

Doc, you are a doche.

3. misterdreamer119 - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I love Doc. He and Pop are the only coaches in the association who rule their teams.

4. eventhorizon04 - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Who is ready for the Celtics-Heat game to be played on Tuesday and this story-line to be over?

(raises hand)

• miamatt - Oct 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I kinda hated to give a thumbs up to your comment, as it was on 34- the number Ray is wearing for the Heat.

5. savvybynature - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Allen is a frontrunner that wants LeBron to win a couple rings for him so he can up his HoF credentials and legacy.

Nothing wrong with that I guess but at least stop trying to blame everyone else to justify it. They offered you 2X the money and a no-trade clause. Some disrespect!

Spurs fan and in San Antonio the players take less to stay and then praise the organization. The best thing about Allen in this is that he makes me appreciate my favorite team even more.

6. 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I’m glad Doc is just going to let Ray keep talking.

7. misterdreamer119 - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Doc and Pop are the two most respected coaches in the association. Ray has sucked for 3 years. Celtics know this.

8. 00maltliquor - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM

No, don’t make it stop! By all means, keep it going! Mwahahahaha!! I love it. lol

Muck it up, I want the smear-iest of all campaigns. I want to see bodies drug through pools of mud. I want knives to have to be surgically removed from out their backs!

9. sellahh - Oct 27, 2012 at 6:58 AM

This is awful. ‘Lord make it stop’? He got asked a question so he answered it. You want to make it stop, quit asking those questions.

10. chicagofan - Oct 27, 2012 at 7:55 AM

This will not stop until Miami plays in Boston and until then we will hear questions about how he will greeted on his return to Boston etc, etc ,etc…spoiler alert — he’ll get a standing ovation and a highlight reel and then the Boston fans will boo him like the rest of the Heat. Then it will finally stop.

11. dwirk - Oct 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM

The best would be Jesus shuttlesworth err… Ray ray coming off a pick and KG just lay him. Then while ray ray is lying on the ground doing one arm push-ups spitting and cussing beating his chest

12. eyepee - Oct 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM

hmmmm, maybe not posting the story in the first place will help make it stop.

13. 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Notice Rick Carlisle, Dirk Nowitzki, and Mark Cuban haven’t said word one about Jason Terry leaving the down-turning Mavs for a better chance to win in Boston? Terry and the Mavs and Allen and tbe Crltics are extermely similar situations. But maybe Terry sucks and they’re glad to see him go. Maybe they’re not a bunch of whiny babies who think the whole basketball world revolves around them. Or maybe it’s a little of both.

Either way, get over it Doc. Ray just wasn’t that into you.

• rtfinch - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

The Celtics and Mavericks are heated rivals? We know what happened, Ray got his feelings hurt, and wants to shove it in their face by sitting on the Heat bench when they try to win a ring.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Suns and Lakers are. Not one person in Suns organization had one thing to say about Nash signing in LA.

14. BigBeachBall - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Doc is like a broken record, everything he says is the same….”if we think like this or play like that, then we are going to lose”
    Anybody here could probably do his job.

15. fanz928 - Oct 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Disrespect is trying to trade him every free agency

16. miamatt - Oct 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM

As much as Ray is going to help Miami on the court this season, I think my favorite aspect of the signing is the reaction by the Celtics organization. They tried too late to patch up a fractured relationship. More than really wanting Ray back, they really wanted Miami to NOT get him. Allen wearing a Heat jersey is a knife being twisted in the heart of the Celtics, and knocking them out of the playoffs for a 3rd straight year will be all the sweeter. To the victor goes the spoils!

17. charlutes - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM

you want to make it stop, write something else. you guys write about Ryan brother feuds and ray Allen Celtics beef and Tim Tebow crap every day, at least own it.

18. rocirius - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Nash asked the Suns to sign him and trade him to LA. They were happy to oblige because he was not part of their plans and they got something back. Both parties were satisfied, hence nothing negative afterward.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches