Oct 25, 2012, 8:32 AM EDT
The cult of Jared Sullinger is growing fast in Boston.
The rookie power forward out of Ohio State slipped down the draft board because of injury reports and because he’s not as athletic, he doesn’t play above the rim like some of the guys taken in front of him. But he can play — he’s crafty and scores in the paint. The Celtics players and fans like what they see.
But he’s a rookie and Brandon Bass is a quality NBA veteran. And signs point to coach Doc Rivers leaning veteran when he has to pick an opening night starter against the Miami Heat, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
Rivers has said his starting lineup will likely fluctuate depending on the foe and the type of player opponents choose to start….
As good as Sullinger has been in the preseason, seeing him matched up with LeBron James to start his NBA career might be classified as cruel and unusual punishment. In addition, Bass did arguably as good a job as any of his Boston teammates in defending James during their matchup in the Eastern Conference finals last season.
Bass is experienced, he can handle the big stage — and opening night on national television playing a Heat team raising a banner is a big stage. While Sullinger has looked good in the preseason and earned the love of his teammates, he hasn’t yet played an NBA game. His reaction to the moment remains an unknown.
As Blakely notes — Rivers knows he can trust Bass. He’s starting to trust Sullinger, but it’s not the same. Not yet.
Opening night may well go to Bass as the starter. Now, opening night of the playoffs six months from now could be a different story entirely.
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 0
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 2
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 21
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 33