Oct 25, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
Among the things washed away in the tide of the David Stern retirement announcement — once again the NBA owners discussed putting some kind of advertising patch on uniforms.
But they remain divided on whether it should happen. So for now, nothing is going to happen.
That according to Ken Berger of CBSSpors.com.
Amid the Stern news, NBA owners decided to put “on the back burner” the concept of advertising patches on NBA uniforms, sources say.
— Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) October 25, 2012
Stern has said before that owners were divided between traditionalists that wanted no advertisements and some who were ready to go full European soccer (if not NASCAR). Yes, Mark Cuban, but not just him. Last year during the NBA finals when the owners met they were shown mock-ups of options to consider.
Most observers expected a compromise — some small logo on the uniforms just above the chest approaching the shoulder (where the NBA logo is now) seemed a compromise. The teams would put a little more money in their pocket and it wasn’t intrusive or overwhelming.
But there apparently was no compromise. Does that mean the NBA’s finances are good enough that some owners are now willing to forgo revenue streams?
The owners will take the ads on jerseys issue up again when the meet in April, according to the report. You can bet this is going to happen some day, but that day is not today.
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 0
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 1
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 20
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 23