Oct 25, 2012, 6:43 PM EST
This would be an interesting swap. If it happens.
We told you earlier today the Mavericks have suspended Delonte West indefinitely. Now comes the report that the Mavericks want to cut ties with West and drastically improve their locker room with Eddy Curry, who they picked up on waivers. From the Dallas Morning News.
The Mavericks wasted no time filling a need – and the roster spot that will be created when Delonte West is waived – by putting in a waiver claim for veteran NBA center Eddy Curry, a source said…
By signing Curry, the Mavericks will have a 16-player roster. But they are expected to jettison West, either by cutting him or finding a willing trade partner, before Monday’s roster deadline.
Eddy Curry is a free agent after being waived by San Antonio, where he played fairly well in the preseason. With both Dirk Nowitzki and Chris Kaman injured right now, adding another big makes sense. The Mavs also signed Chris Douglas-Roberts in case they want to stay with a guy on the perimeter.
But Dallas can’t just waive West — he has a guaranteed contract for the veterans’ minimum ($854,389). They would have to buy him out (for the full amount, West isn’t giving them a discount) and that would still count against their camp. In theory the Mavs could trade West to make room, but after they had to suspend him for locker room outbursts good luck with that. They also could cut someone like Bernard James.
West would be missed by his teammates — they liked him and liked playing with him, as they told ESPNDallas.com.
“We’re losing a competitor,” said Vince Carter, who planned to call his friend West later. “That’s just plain and simple. He’s a competitor. We all know that. You just hate to see everybody going through their differences, because that’s one guy you can rely on.”
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 0
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 0
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 3
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 20
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8