Oct 25, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
This would be an interesting swap. If it happens.
We told you earlier today the Mavericks have suspended Delonte West indefinitely. Now comes the report that the Mavericks want to cut ties with West and drastically improve their locker room with Eddy Curry, who they picked up on waivers. From the Dallas Morning News.
The Mavericks wasted no time filling a need – and the roster spot that will be created when Delonte West is waived – by putting in a waiver claim for veteran NBA center Eddy Curry, a source said…
By signing Curry, the Mavericks will have a 16-player roster. But they are expected to jettison West, either by cutting him or finding a willing trade partner, before Monday’s roster deadline.
Eddy Curry is a free agent after being waived by San Antonio, where he played fairly well in the preseason. With both Dirk Nowitzki and Chris Kaman injured right now, adding another big makes sense. The Mavs also signed Chris Douglas-Roberts in case they want to stay with a guy on the perimeter.
But Dallas can’t just waive West — he has a guaranteed contract for the veterans’ minimum ($854,389). They would have to buy him out (for the full amount, West isn’t giving them a discount) and that would still count against their camp. In theory the Mavs could trade West to make room, but after they had to suspend him for locker room outbursts good luck with that. They also could cut someone like Bernard James.
West would be missed by his teammates — they liked him and liked playing with him, as they told ESPNDallas.com.
“We’re losing a competitor,” said Vince Carter, who planned to call his friend West later. “That’s just plain and simple. He’s a competitor. We all know that. You just hate to see everybody going through their differences, because that’s one guy you can rely on.”
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11