Report: Kobe Bryant could miss season opener

Oct 25, 2012, 3:36 AM EDT

Kobe Bryant,  Kevin Murphy AP

We know that Kobe Bryant has been nursing a sore foot and has been ruled out for the remainder of the preseason. But, how serious is the injury? Apparently serious enough that he may not be ready to start the season, according to a report from Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles:

Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike Brown said Wednesday night that there is “question” Lakers guard Kobe Bryant will recover from a foot injury in time to play in next Tuesday night’s season opener against the Dallas Mavericks.

“I don’t know if he’ll be ready,” Brown said after the Lakers 97-91 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday.

Kobe has already said that if these last preseason games were regular season contests he’d likely still sit them out. Considering his threshold for pain and how often he’s played through ailments, that in itself is news. Kobe just doesn’t want to miss games. He wants to be out there competing.

But the truth is that Kobe doesn’t really need to rush back. With Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, and Pau Gasol the Lakers have enough talent to hold the fort down while he heals. Yes, building chemistry is important for a team that has not shared a lot of court time this preseason but the NBA season is a marathon and there will be time for them to find their stride.

That said, the fact of the matter is, Kobe still has several more days to heal up and get around the clock treatment (as he’s known to do). I wouldn’t count him out yet. In fact, I’d bet he plays.

1. progress2011 - Oct 25, 2012 at 5:03 AM

What do you expect from a fossil !

The Fakers have a team where MOST of the players have been in the league 10+++ years. The hwy miles have broken down the ole grizzled players.

2 of the featured players have significant back injuries. Now kobe has a foot problem.

As a guard, you can’t have bad “foots”….ahahahah

This is arguably, one of the WORST benches in the league. If the elders can’t stay healthy….

Ya’ll won’t make the Playoffs ……ahahahahaha

• money2long - Oct 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

lol@ the lakers won’t make the playoffs.
      the only thing worse than a hater is a delusional hater…

2. BigBeachBall - Oct 25, 2012 at 5:59 AM

oh no, we have to watch Nash throw lobs to D12 for 4 quarters instead…

• cosanostra71 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

with some Pau Gasol buckets sprinkled in there too. I’m devastated.

3. dls612 - Oct 25, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Laker fans hold off on the trash talk!

4. succulentnipples - Oct 25, 2012 at 6:59 AM

My foot hurts. I’m not going to work today.

• urodaddy07 - Oct 25, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Wow. How dumb are you? His job depends on him being able to jump……..off his foot.

• cosanostra71 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

since Kobe’s never played through pain before

5. rickyspanish - Oct 25, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Hate the Lakers all you want, the louder your complaining and contempt gets, the more jealous and scared you appear. It’s time for you whiners to realize how good the Lakers are going to be, which is really, really good.

I can’t wait for my beloved Miami Heat to play them. When you’re confident in the team you root for, you look forward to seeing them play against teams of equal strength. This season is going to be extra spicy.

• dls612 - Oct 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Too bad Lakers fans don’t feel the same as you when it comes down to my heat! But Ur doing an outstanding job at kissing up!

• beavertonsteve - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Really? Almost every Laker fan I know predicts a Heat-Lakers finals if the Lakers can get past Oklahoma City.

• dls612 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Rickyspanish ( pretty Ricky is what they call ya ) who the hell else would the Lakers fans pick to meet their team in the finals! I’m just saying Ur sucking up was a lil too much!

• rickyspanish - Oct 25, 2012 at 5:12 PM

You’ve confused kissing up with respect. There’s no reason for me to come on here and start bashing LA, I honestly think they’re good and I’m looking forward to watching them play Miami.

• dls612 - Oct 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM

My point exactly! Ur still kissing up! Damn Ur good!

6. miamatt - Oct 25, 2012 at 8:04 AM

@lakerluver:

Suppose this makes him an old 33, eh? LOL

Too early to worry about this stuff, though. It’s about being healthy in May and June. The Lakers will be fine.

7. paulhargis53 - Oct 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM

miamatt: Lakerluver had not been on these boards for several days. One can only hope that he doesn’t return. It’s been rather pleasant without him around.

Plus the average IQ went way up.

8. isujames - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM

The lakers would be a better team if kobe missed the entire season.

• zblott - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

History and facts say you’re probably right.

• davidly - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Probably. I recently conceived the idea that no team should have a player taking more shots than they have assists, then I got an idea:
      They should have Bryant run the second team and take as many shots as he wants. Go for 70 every night. Then the starting five can run their Princeton offense.

9. jerdogthompson - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Now I will preface this by saying I’m not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

The more I look at this situation the more inclined I am to deduce that Kobe may in fact have a Lisfranc injury.

Like I have already said, I hope that’s not the case as I want this team at full strength when they get beat. Just don’t be surprised if they come out next week and announce that this is more than a bruised foot.

• urodaddy07 - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I don’t think that this a a Lisfranc fracture. Typically a player would not even be contemplate playing with such an injury. I do think, though, that this is more serious that the Lakers are letting on. Even with a healthy Kobe, I don’t see LA winning the Westetn Conference. They have a few problems:
      1. Their bench is not as good as it should be – the Clippers have a very deep and talented bench,
      2. Even with Dwight Howard, they still are not quite as athletic as OKC or the Clippers.
      3. Defensively I think their starting unit is wanting, especially at the point guard position.

So I foresee some struggles especially early season. I am a Laker fan, but I am worried.

10. progress2011 - Oct 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Uro,

If you are or are-not a laker fan, your assessments are very pin-point !

You will now join the ranks of getting the terrible “thumbs-down”, from all the starry-eyed laker fans, for slapping them with factual assessments.

I know your feelings will be hurt….ahaha, good luck dude

11. mrheavychevy - Oct 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM

progress2011 your favorite team obviously sucks lol

12. jerdogthompson - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I have to jump in and concur with Progress.

Uro is one the the VERY few laker fans that actually have a shred of reality mixed into their comments. Look keep on dusting off those trophies cause in the end that’s all you got and will get for some time. We got 16 how many you got? Well the Celts have 17 so keep on trying.

13. jerdogthompson - Oct 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM

This just in…,,.,,,,

According to my sources, Kobe took a golf cart into the arena in SD tonight rather than walk the 500 feet. Could be showmanship or could be what I’ve been saying all week Lisfranc. We shall see.

For those Laker fans not familiar with Lisfranc, let me put it simply. Season is over for Kobe. Better start dusting off those trophies y’all.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches