Oct 25, 2012, 3:36 AM EST
We know that Kobe Bryant has been nursing a sore foot and has been ruled out for the remainder of the preseason. But, how serious is the injury? Apparently serious enough that he may not be ready to start the season, according to a report from Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles:
Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike Brown said Wednesday night that there is “question” Lakers guard Kobe Bryant will recover from a foot injury in time to play in next Tuesday night’s season opener against the Dallas Mavericks.
“I don’t know if he’ll be ready,” Brown said after the Lakers 97-91 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday.
Kobe has already said that if these last preseason games were regular season contests he’d likely still sit them out. Considering his threshold for pain and how often he’s played through ailments, that in itself is news. Kobe just doesn’t want to miss games. He wants to be out there competing.
But the truth is that Kobe doesn’t really need to rush back. With Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, and Pau Gasol the Lakers have enough talent to hold the fort down while he heals. Yes, building chemistry is important for a team that has not shared a lot of court time this preseason but the NBA season is a marathon and there will be time for them to find their stride.
That said, the fact of the matter is, Kobe still has several more days to heal up and get around the clock treatment (as he’s known to do). I wouldn’t count him out yet. In fact, I’d bet he plays.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30