Howard wanted Nets, calls Lakers “blessing in disguise”

Oct 25, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Dwight Howard poses for a photo during NBA media day for the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team in Los Angeles Reuters

We’ve been down this road before — it’s not really new news that Dwight Howard wanted to go to the Nets, the Magic didn’t really want to send him where he wanted to go, he ended up with the Lakers and now thinks that is what the universe intended all along.

But, he said it on the radio in New York, so it’s news again. Somehow.

Howard was on ESPN Radio in New York with Stephen A. Smith and here are the money quotes, via ESPNNewYork.com.

“I did want to go to Brooklyn. That’s a place where I told the Magic that I really wanted to go,” Howard, who was ultimately dealt to the Los Angeles Lakers, told Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco on ESPN New York 98.7 FM. “[But] I was traded to the Lakers, and I think it was a blessing in disguise.

“… I think there’s a reason why everything happened the way it happened. So far it’s been an unbelievable experience for me. … It’s like a dream come true.”

So, there’s a reason he had a back injury that required surgery?

Howard also talked about how he felt blamed as back-and-forth news dribbled out about the his potential trade to Brooklyn, and how that led to misperceptions of him and what he wanted.

“I think a lot of it was people just felt like I was going back and forth with the whole thing,” Howard said. “But the business side, people don’t understand, when you’re doing business you have to be a shark. You have to demand things. If you don’t, people will run over you, and that was a lesson that I learned.”

The thing is, that’s on you. Your agent admitted to being one of the big leaks in the talks, as he tried to pressure the Nets into making a better offer and the Magic into taking it. Howard’s camp was very noisy. And while that may not have been him directly it was the people around him that hurt his image.

Now, he just needs to keep his head down a little, have fun, play hoops and win. Do that and the public will come back around. They always do for winners.

1. tubal22 - Oct 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Dwight.
    Please.
    Stop.
    Talking.

2. money2long - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM

if dwight hadn’t opted in for that extra year, who knows for sure where he would’ve been now ?

• doclolly - Oct 26, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Brooklyn…

3. nokoolaidcowboy - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:00 AM

The problem with this guy is that he doesn’t know when to shut up. Just because you are asked a question, does not mean you have to answer it. Or just learn how BS your way out.

4. drewdatwit84 - Oct 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM

seriously, this dude talks WAY too damn much… He used to be my favorite center in the league, but once u go Purple&Gold you’re a hated rival… I don’t wish nothing bad on him personally, I just wish he’d stop making himself look stupid by TALKING ALL THE TIME! jeez… And I would wish the Lakers seriously, this dude talks WAY too damn much… He used to be my favorite center in the league, but once u go Purple&Gold you’re a hated rival… I don’t wish nothing bad on him personally, I just wish he’d stop making himself look stupid by TALKING ALL THE TIME! jeez… And I would wish the Lakers would suck this year, but judging by that 0-8 preseason record, that’s one wish I don’t need to waste. suck this year, but judging by that 0-8 preseason record, that’s one wish I don’t need to waste.

• bougin89 - Oct 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I have to say two thumbs down on this comment. One for the message presented and one for the delivery of said message.

5. magicbucs - Oct 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Yes he’s blessed he’s in LA “THIS YEAR” cause it was going to be Houston. Dwight wont be in LA next year. He’s a punk

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches