Oct 25, 2012, 12:57 PM EST
Coaches notoriously are in the “I will focus on what I can control” camp. If it is something beyond their control, they are not going to spend time worried about it.
Injuries, and when guys come back from injuries, are beyond a coach’s control.
“I have no idea,” Collins said (of when Bynum returns). “It’s all hypothetical. We’re not going to look over at (Bynum as) a lifeline. If this team feels like we can’t win without him, we won’t win.”
Philadelphia went 6-1 during the preseason. While that record matters about as a politician’s promise in the weeks before an election, it gives Collins something to build on — the Sixers need to build an identity without Bynum to start the season. An identity that likely is more up-tempo.
“We’re not waiting for Andrew to come back to decide who we are,” Collins said. “We have to decide who we are. It’s like anything else — the other night I sat Jrue Holiday out. Who are we if Jrue Holiday can’t play? I sat Jason Richardson and Dorell Wright out. Who were we with those two shooters out?”
“The most important thing you can do for your team is send the message that we’re good and we’re going to win,” Collins said. “You don’t want to look over to a lifeline. You can’t do that. From a coaching standpoint, I have to let our guys know that we’re good enough. We’re good enough to win. And when Andrew comes back, we’ll be even better. Maybe we’ll take it to another level.”
Look for the Sixers to run more and for different guys to step up — Nick Young one night, Thaddeus Young another, Jrue Holiday another. Maybe even Evan Turner. The Sixers have good athletes and if they defend well they can be solid until Bynum gets back.
Then they can work out a new identity.
- The Extra Pass: Golden State’s Elevator Screen plus Wednesday’s recaps 0
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Vintage Dwyane Wade sighting 1
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 28
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 12
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)