Oct 25, 2012, 12:57 PM EDT
Coaches notoriously are in the “I will focus on what I can control” camp. If it is something beyond their control, they are not going to spend time worried about it.
Injuries, and when guys come back from injuries, are beyond a coach’s control.
“I have no idea,” Collins said (of when Bynum returns). “It’s all hypothetical. We’re not going to look over at (Bynum as) a lifeline. If this team feels like we can’t win without him, we won’t win.”
Philadelphia went 6-1 during the preseason. While that record matters about as a politician’s promise in the weeks before an election, it gives Collins something to build on — the Sixers need to build an identity without Bynum to start the season. An identity that likely is more up-tempo.
“We’re not waiting for Andrew to come back to decide who we are,” Collins said. “We have to decide who we are. It’s like anything else — the other night I sat Jrue Holiday out. Who are we if Jrue Holiday can’t play? I sat Jason Richardson and Dorell Wright out. Who were we with those two shooters out?”
“The most important thing you can do for your team is send the message that we’re good and we’re going to win,” Collins said. “You don’t want to look over to a lifeline. You can’t do that. From a coaching standpoint, I have to let our guys know that we’re good enough. We’re good enough to win. And when Andrew comes back, we’ll be even better. Maybe we’ll take it to another level.”
Look for the Sixers to run more and for different guys to step up — Nick Young one night, Thaddeus Young another, Jrue Holiday another. Maybe even Evan Turner. The Sixers have good athletes and if they defend well they can be solid until Bynum gets back.
Then they can work out a new identity.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 9
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 29
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24