Doc Rivers: “We’re just going to let Ray keep talking”

Oct 25, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT

Doc Rivers AP

Among the many reasons I’m excited for the NBA season to tip off next week is that with games going on, maybe Ray Allen and the Celtics will stop talking about each other. Please, please stop talking about each other.

Of course, they play each other opening night — Allen’s new team the Heat and the Celtics next Tuesday — so maybe we’ll have to suffer through this “conversation” about how and why Allen left Boston a little longer.

The other day Allen kept talking, saying his feud with Rajon Rondo went back to 2009 when they were both almost traded to Phoenix. Doc Rivers doesn’t really see it that way, said so then added a little barb when speaking to A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.

“I didn’t even know it, so I’m surprised right now,” Rivers said. “I never knew that, I don’t think [the trade rumor is] true.

“We’re just going to let Ray keep talking, it’s easier.”

What I think we all want — including Celtic and Heat fans — if for both sides to just shut up about it. You don’t get along now, Allen felt disrespected, we get it. Move on. (I feel like I’m talking to my four-year-old here.)

1. brutl - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM

The only reason they can’t shut up about it is because reporters are always asking the same damn question.

• nycalldayz - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Agree, because who cares at this point.

2. 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM

This is really a case of Rivers only hearing what he wants to hear. Ray answers one question in one interview, while there have been dozens of “We’re Mad/Hurt/Angry/Surprised at/Better off without Ray” articles on PBT and just about every other rag out there since June; but Rivers says that Ray is the talker.

It’s like Rex Ryan complaining about Reggie Bush talking too much. You have to be kidding, right?

Either way, keep focusing on our 8th man Doc. See you Tuesday.

• fpy09 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

One question, one interview? Check your facts. It was a ton of questions and THREE interviews in one day. Who does that? He provided novel like responses to each question. Go read the transcript, And from these interviews I don’t remember reading one thing that was non-Celtic related. Doc on the other hand responds with a short and simple response. The celtics don’t let the media ask follow up questions. They end it. Ray hasn’t moved in, the celtics have.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM

July 9, 2012 PBT Headline
        “Doc Rivers Doesn’t Agree with Ray Allen’s Reasons for Leaving”

July 16, 2012 PBT Headline
        “Ray Allen Takes Out Newspaper Ad to Thank Celtics Fans”

September 28, 2012 PBT Headline
        “Quote of the Day: KG Lost Ray Allen’s Phone Number”

September 30, 2012 PBT Headline
        “Ray Allen Brushes Off Garnett’s Barking While Enjoying the Beach”

October 25, 2012 PBT Headline
        “Doc Rivers: :”We’re Just Going to Let Ray Keep On Talking”

Wait, What????

Oh by the way, just for kicks and giggles. Headline from PBT, June 10, 2012:
        “Garnett, Rondo Snub Heat. Head to Locker Room Before Final Buzzer. Classy.”

Yes Doc. You guys stay classy.

• jjordannba - Oct 25, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Oh cool all PBT headlines you got there. Well in case you have not noticed by now the Main Author on this site is clearly A SUPER BIASED HEAT FAN. Who doesn’t care too much for the Celtics or many other teams.

• rtfinch - Oct 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I’m not quite sure why you threw in the Garnett and Rondo leaving before the final buzzer, yet casually left out Lebron leaving the floor in the magic series….. but hey whatever floats your boat.

3. slevy221 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Doesn’t anyone think it’s better if they keep talking? I mean think about it for a second. The 90s were an AMAZING era of basketball. TONS of legitimate rivalries where the teams straight up did not like each other. The games were heated and the battles were epic.

Even at the beginning of the 2000s there were some solid rivalries. But all that has stopped. Everyone is “buddy buddy” nowadays and rivalries just aren’t around. The NBA could use a solid rivalry with bickering foes and arch nemesis. I think this is great and I hope they all talk all season long.

As a Knick fan I DESPISE these two teams…but…I’ll admit I’m enjoying watching them because of the storm that’s brewing between them.

4. troy10 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Here’s what will happen… they will play. Miami will make a concerted effort to help Ray get his points and have a great game. And he probably will go off.

Then.. he’ll sit out roughly 50 games this year because of his ankle/knee and other ailments. And the other 32 games he’ll actually play he’ll be at like 60%. So.. great get by the Heat

5. miamatt - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM

That’s hysterical, considering all the bellyaching the Celtics have done over this all summer long.

They disrespected Ray, and the only reason they offered him a contract at all was to keep Miami from getting him.

So he’ll be highly motivated, wide-open, and playing in a situation where his minutes can be managed properly… sounds like the front runner for sixth man of the year to me.

6. paulhargis53 - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I’m not bellyaching. He gave Boston some good years. He’s a shell of his former self and doesn’t understand the business side of the game.
    He needs to “feel love”? Uff.

matt, you are in for one huge suprise if you think he’s going to be the 6th man of the year. His ankles killed his J.

Expecting major minutes from him is a mistake.

7. 00maltliquor - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I just love how unnecessarily ugly this is getting!

8. hehateme2 - Oct 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Ray is in a better place. He wanted out of that ugly green. Plus, he wants to win another Championship. Can’t blame him.

• rtfinch - Oct 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Wait, everyone on the heat gets rings? I thought only Lebron did. hmm, who knew

9. sellahh - Oct 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM

You guys are overappreciating Ray and underappreciating Rondo.
    The reasons? You can read about them here: http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8510892/rajon-rondo-steps-shadows-boston-celtics-leader
    And I’m not even a Boston fan. Hell, i bleed purple and gold. And I still wish I could ever be a part of something as special as Boston Celtics.
    Ray Allen is just a diva. 36 year old, but still a diva. Some people just don’t grow up.

10. misterdreamer119 - Oct 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM

On everything Ainge shoudda resign Tony Allen instead of # 20.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches