Want to sit courtside for Knicks/Nets opener? Got $8,100?

Oct 24, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT

Nets court Barclay Center

There is a lot of buzz around the Nets this season — they have moved to a new building in Brooklyn and will be the NBA’s most improved team this season. Of course, they were so bad last season that a dramatic improvement will not take them as far as some Nets fans hope, but it should take them to the playoffs.

But the buzz is real and you can be part of it — if you’re willing to fork over New York prices.

From the New York Post (via SLAM):

Tickets to the Nets’ first regular-season game at the new Barclays Center against the crosstown rival Knicks are commanding an average of $800.87 a pop on StubHub and other secondary-market sites….

The Nets-Knicks game is running as high as $8,100 for courtside seats normally priced for $1,500, and the cheapest seats were selling for $217.

I’m not your mother, I’m not going to tell you how to spend your money, Brooklynites. If you think $8,100 is within your budget for a seat at a basketball game, well, I’m impressed with your amount of disposable income. That’s a lot of money to see Carmelo Anthony break a sweat and Brook Lopez try to. But if you are thinking of dropping more than $200 on nosebleed seats for the building opener… just think it through. You’re not exactly going to be sitting next to Jay-Z for that money. That’s all I’m saying.

1. money2long - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM

would it have been $10k if amare were playing?

2. timb12 - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM

They can dress them up all they want, they’re still the Nets.

• qwertify - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I agree they’re still the Nets, only this time there will be more winning than losing.

• teehov843 - Oct 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM

They can dress them up all they want, They’re still the Knicks! LOL!

3. sportsfan83 - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM

“Brooklyn and will be the NBA’s most improved team this season”

Most improved team & dramatic improvement? Don’t they have almost the exact same starting five as last years 20 win team? Besides adding overpaid and overhyped Joe Johnson. I’m not saying they won’t win more games the last year but let them play first before you label a team “most improved” just by judging what’s on paper.

4. badintent - Oct 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM

And then there’s the neighborHood, bring the following: pitbull, Bowie knife, Glock and body armor. Parking on the street means you better leave one pitbull in the car. But if you valet park at Barclay’s make sure you write down the mileage to compare before and after, your car might go to Manhattan for some Chinese food in China town and then over to West side clubbing.Don’t expect the security guys to help out , they ‘reonly getting $15 a hour.NYPD is at the shooting range , practicing after last month little fiasco.
    Enjoy the game, Beyonce is the half time show. The half time drawing is one lucky fan gets to shower with Beyonce

• phaden27 - Oct 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I’m not a psychologist or anything but uh you sound kinda bitter there champ.

• badintent - Oct 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Damn straight I’m bitter ! I ran out of popcorn watching the movie “Straight out of Brooklyn ”
        I got out 30 years ago, it ain’t no Brooklyn Dodgers thing.Last time in Brooklyn , we dropped $300 at Peter Lugars for dinner. Same meal today is $800. Charge it to Trump.

5. progress2011 - Oct 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

This is why it’s VERY important for “Working Class” families to educate our children.

Heck, even if I had Bill Gates/ Warren Buffett type money……This is not a good investment !

For any investment, their has to be a beneficial return….For me, an equal return has to increase the size of my wallet or my quality of life (health, home,investments etc)

I enjoy sports casually and can never be confused as a FAN-ATICAL type dude, watching Multi-Millionaires do what is considered a hobby.

So, anything outside of paying my cable bill…..I can’t do NOTHIN for ‘em…….ahahahahaha

6. misterdreamer119 - Oct 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Why Brooklyn Nets and not Brooklyn Ballers.

7. hareluya724 - Oct 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I think it’s hilarious that “Mr. I dont proofread” is criticizing Brooklyn nets of hiking up their ticket price as if they are the only team that did it. Courtside ticket price of the Heat’ season opener of 2010-2011 (the year of not one not two not three but four championships) was approximately $12500. So dont make it sound like the Nets is the only organization trying to profit when there’s a major hype.

8. phipfwe76 - Oct 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM

So what? It’s the first game in a new place. Of course they’re high.

At the end of the day they’re still the Nets. If you check Stubhub you can already get some tickets for $12 for some early season games.

9. Brian Donohue - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I walk past the place regularly and I can’t tell which is a more gruesome eyesore — the horrible shopping mall on Atlantic Ave. or this thing across the street from the mall — it looks less like an arena than a pile of 9/11 debris from the Staten Island landfill (yeah, that’s where they took a lot of it). At night when they light it up it takes on the look of a postmodern dinosaur statue. So yeah, we’re real proud of it here in Bklyn.

We do have a nice sports stadium here, though: the ballfield where the Mets AA team, the Coney Island Cyclones play is really pretty. Hell of a lot cheaper to get into, as well. That’s a great place to go if you visit Bklyn.: C.I., the Aquarium, beaches, and the Cyclones park. Fireworks over the ocean beyond center field on Fridays.

10. freeagentsignee - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Nov. 1.
    Welcome Nets!
    Go Nets!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches