Oct 24, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
I was watching at home when this play happened and I rewound it about five times trying to see whatever the referee that called the technical saw, and I was stumped. The broadcasters were stumped and confused.
LeBron James is bringing the ball up court and the Bobcats, in a very Bobcats way, seem to lose track of the fact the best basketball player in the planet has the ball and they might want to defend him. So with nobody between him and the basket LeBron just straight-line bolts for the rim. At the last second Gerald Henderson stepped in to try and draw the charge and there was contact. Henderson got called for the blocking foul.
And LeBron got a technical for.. I have no idea what.
Embellishing contact (flopping)? First I don’t see it, second he didn’t draw the main foul. If you’re going to give him a technical for being bigger and stronger than the guy he runs into it’s going to be a very long season for everyone. I get why Erik Spoelstra got a technical, he earned it, but not LeBron.
It’s preseason for the referees, too. It happens.
But sure, the flopping rule will be enforced even-handedly this season.
Hat tip to Royce Young of Eye on Basketball for the video.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18