Oct 24, 2012, 7:45 AM EST
I was watching at home when this play happened and I rewound it about five times trying to see whatever the referee that called the technical saw, and I was stumped. The broadcasters were stumped and confused.
LeBron James is bringing the ball up court and the Bobcats, in a very Bobcats way, seem to lose track of the fact the best basketball player in the planet has the ball and they might want to defend him. So with nobody between him and the basket LeBron just straight-line bolts for the rim. At the last second Gerald Henderson stepped in to try and draw the charge and there was contact. Henderson got called for the blocking foul.
And LeBron got a technical for.. I have no idea what.
Embellishing contact (flopping)? First I don’t see it, second he didn’t draw the main foul. If you’re going to give him a technical for being bigger and stronger than the guy he runs into it’s going to be a very long season for everyone. I get why Erik Spoelstra got a technical, he earned it, but not LeBron.
It’s preseason for the referees, too. It happens.
But sure, the flopping rule will be enforced even-handedly this season.
Hat tip to Royce Young of Eye on Basketball for the video.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 6
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12