Oct 24, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
I was watching at home when this play happened and I rewound it about five times trying to see whatever the referee that called the technical saw, and I was stumped. The broadcasters were stumped and confused.
LeBron James is bringing the ball up court and the Bobcats, in a very Bobcats way, seem to lose track of the fact the best basketball player in the planet has the ball and they might want to defend him. So with nobody between him and the basket LeBron just straight-line bolts for the rim. At the last second Gerald Henderson stepped in to try and draw the charge and there was contact. Henderson got called for the blocking foul.
And LeBron got a technical for.. I have no idea what.
Embellishing contact (flopping)? First I don’t see it, second he didn’t draw the main foul. If you’re going to give him a technical for being bigger and stronger than the guy he runs into it’s going to be a very long season for everyone. I get why Erik Spoelstra got a technical, he earned it, but not LeBron.
It’s preseason for the referees, too. It happens.
But sure, the flopping rule will be enforced even-handedly this season.
Hat tip to Royce Young of Eye on Basketball for the video.
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 0
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 18
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 46
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 59
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 72
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 40
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3