Oct 24, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT
Eric Maynor is back on the Oklahoma City bench, coming in behind Russell Westbrook as one of the better backup point guards in the league. Maynor was missed by the Thunder in the playoffs last year when he was out recovering from an ACL injury and Derek Fisher was getting his minutes.
With the Thunder taking on the Bulls, Maynor was asked if he had advice for Derrick Rose, the Bulls star trying to recover from the same injury.
His words — don’t come back until you are fully ready. From Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
“With me, it took time and everybody that I’ve talked to that had the injury, you could say this and say that, but it’s different when you get out there and start going up and down, especially against the best players in the world. I think it’s different with me because I was never speed, speed, speed, speed. It’s like I’m back to where I was, but D-Rose, he’s fast all the time, so he’s going to have to work to get that back, but I know he’s going to keep working and he’ll be straight,” said Maynor, who added that he hasn’t been in contact with either Rose or Minnesota point guard Ricky Rubio, another young floor general working through the same injury. “There’s going to be good days, there’s going to be bad days, but you just have to keep working throughout all of it.
“That’s the thing: You don’t want to rush anything, so I would advise both of those guys to make sure you’re ready to come back,” he went on to say. “Now I feel good playing.”
Maynor said it helped him to be around his teammates last year and not just to be off on his own. Rose seems to have a support system around him to help him through this, plus he has adidas cameras tracking his recovery through The Return video series. His recovery is far more public than Maynor’s.
But both Rose and the Bulls are giving lip service to what Maynor said — they say they don’t want to rush. That they want to get it right before he steps back on a court. They should, what matters is not this season but the next five. But it’s easy to say that, another thing to do it. We shall see what happens with Rose.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18