Oct 24, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT
Eric Maynor is back on the Oklahoma City bench, coming in behind Russell Westbrook as one of the better backup point guards in the league. Maynor was missed by the Thunder in the playoffs last year when he was out recovering from an ACL injury and Derek Fisher was getting his minutes.
With the Thunder taking on the Bulls, Maynor was asked if he had advice for Derrick Rose, the Bulls star trying to recover from the same injury.
His words — don’t come back until you are fully ready. From Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
“With me, it took time and everybody that I’ve talked to that had the injury, you could say this and say that, but it’s different when you get out there and start going up and down, especially against the best players in the world. I think it’s different with me because I was never speed, speed, speed, speed. It’s like I’m back to where I was, but D-Rose, he’s fast all the time, so he’s going to have to work to get that back, but I know he’s going to keep working and he’ll be straight,” said Maynor, who added that he hasn’t been in contact with either Rose or Minnesota point guard Ricky Rubio, another young floor general working through the same injury. “There’s going to be good days, there’s going to be bad days, but you just have to keep working throughout all of it.
“That’s the thing: You don’t want to rush anything, so I would advise both of those guys to make sure you’re ready to come back,” he went on to say. “Now I feel good playing.”
Maynor said it helped him to be around his teammates last year and not just to be off on his own. Rose seems to have a support system around him to help him through this, plus he has adidas cameras tracking his recovery through The Return video series. His recovery is far more public than Maynor’s.
But both Rose and the Bulls are giving lip service to what Maynor said — they say they don’t want to rush. That they want to get it right before he steps back on a court. They should, what matters is not this season but the next five. But it’s easy to say that, another thing to do it. We shall see what happens with Rose.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 7
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional