Oct 24, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT
Eric Maynor is back on the Oklahoma City bench, coming in behind Russell Westbrook as one of the better backup point guards in the league. Maynor was missed by the Thunder in the playoffs last year when he was out recovering from an ACL injury and Derek Fisher was getting his minutes.
With the Thunder taking on the Bulls, Maynor was asked if he had advice for Derrick Rose, the Bulls star trying to recover from the same injury.
His words — don’t come back until you are fully ready. From Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
“With me, it took time and everybody that I’ve talked to that had the injury, you could say this and say that, but it’s different when you get out there and start going up and down, especially against the best players in the world. I think it’s different with me because I was never speed, speed, speed, speed. It’s like I’m back to where I was, but D-Rose, he’s fast all the time, so he’s going to have to work to get that back, but I know he’s going to keep working and he’ll be straight,” said Maynor, who added that he hasn’t been in contact with either Rose or Minnesota point guard Ricky Rubio, another young floor general working through the same injury. “There’s going to be good days, there’s going to be bad days, but you just have to keep working throughout all of it.
“That’s the thing: You don’t want to rush anything, so I would advise both of those guys to make sure you’re ready to come back,” he went on to say. “Now I feel good playing.”
Maynor said it helped him to be around his teammates last year and not just to be off on his own. Rose seems to have a support system around him to help him through this, plus he has adidas cameras tracking his recovery through The Return video series. His recovery is far more public than Maynor’s.
But both Rose and the Bulls are giving lip service to what Maynor said — they say they don’t want to rush. That they want to get it right before he steps back on a court. They should, what matters is not this season but the next five. But it’s easy to say that, another thing to do it. We shall see what happens with Rose.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 44
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11