Oct 24, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
The feeling around the league is that by the Halloween deadline, the Chicago Bulls will reach some kind of contract extension to his rookie deal deal with Taj Gibson. They like him too much to risk losing him as a restricted free agent next year — he’s a lock-down defender, good athlete, solid rebounder and his offense is making strides in efficiency.
But these kind of talks go down to the deadline — this is not a James Harden “max or nothing” kind of situation, this is about Gibson’s agent and the Bulls finding a number that works for both sides. (While that puts cap pressure on the Bulls in a couple years, they have the relief valve of amnestying Carlos Boozer.)
Gibson didn’t really want to talk about it when Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com asked him about the situation.
“When you’re in this situation, a lot of people are more focused on it than you. You just have to let it slide off your shoulders. Joakim [Noah] was talking about to me about it a couple of days ago, but I always just shrug it off. I really don’t even think about it,” he continued. “When you think about it, it kind of takes you away from the basketball aspect of it. But you really can’t do anything about it, except worry about what you can take care of and that’s the court work. Your agent and the GM has to worry about that.”
That is right out of the textbook of what you’d expect him to say. Gibson and Harden — who played against each other in AAU ball and the then Pac-10 — form a mutual admiration society in the Sam story.
There are a lot of GMs around the league in that same admiration society and they hope the Bulls and Gibson don’t reach a deal, they would like to take a run at Gibson as a restricted free agent next summer. Who doesn’t need athletic, hard-nosed defending forward? And with Derrick Rose out more scoring could be asked of Gibson this season, increasing his stock and price.
After losing Omer Asik last summer to a Rockets bid, the Bulls don’t want to go down that road with Gibson. Look for a deal to get done.
Just don’t expect Gibson to talk much about it.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47