Oct 24, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
The feeling around the league is that by the Halloween deadline, the Chicago Bulls will reach some kind of contract extension to his rookie deal deal with Taj Gibson. They like him too much to risk losing him as a restricted free agent next year — he’s a lock-down defender, good athlete, solid rebounder and his offense is making strides in efficiency.
But these kind of talks go down to the deadline — this is not a James Harden “max or nothing” kind of situation, this is about Gibson’s agent and the Bulls finding a number that works for both sides. (While that puts cap pressure on the Bulls in a couple years, they have the relief valve of amnestying Carlos Boozer.)
Gibson didn’t really want to talk about it when Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com asked him about the situation.
“When you’re in this situation, a lot of people are more focused on it than you. You just have to let it slide off your shoulders. Joakim [Noah] was talking about to me about it a couple of days ago, but I always just shrug it off. I really don’t even think about it,” he continued. “When you think about it, it kind of takes you away from the basketball aspect of it. But you really can’t do anything about it, except worry about what you can take care of and that’s the court work. Your agent and the GM has to worry about that.”
That is right out of the textbook of what you’d expect him to say. Gibson and Harden — who played against each other in AAU ball and the then Pac-10 — form a mutual admiration society in the Sam story.
There are a lot of GMs around the league in that same admiration society and they hope the Bulls and Gibson don’t reach a deal, they would like to take a run at Gibson as a restricted free agent next summer. Who doesn’t need athletic, hard-nosed defending forward? And with Derrick Rose out more scoring could be asked of Gibson this season, increasing his stock and price.
After losing Omer Asik last summer to a Rockets bid, the Bulls don’t want to go down that road with Gibson. Look for a deal to get done.
Just don’t expect Gibson to talk much about it.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 0
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18