Oct 24, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
Something’s going on, we’ll let you decide for yourself what it is.
Almost since free agency started the Utah Jazz have been trying to reach and agreement with Raja Bell to buy out his $3.5 million contract and let him go as a free agent. Bell and Jazz coach Tyron Corbin didn’t get along and the Jazz like Corbin so Bell was not coming back to a team that sent him home from a road trip early last season. However, the two sides haven’t reached a buyout deal (meaning Bell isn’t giving anything back, or not enough for the Jazz anyway). While Bell remains on the Jazz roster the franchise told him not to bother to show up to training camp. He is not around.
Then comes a report Tuesday — with word allegedly from Bell’s agent — that the buyout talks are broken off and both sides are trying to find a trade for Bell.
But Bell’s agent has now told the more respected publication the Deseret News that is not the case.
“Absolutely not,” agent Herb Rudoy told the Deseret News when asked about Tuesday’s RealGM.com article, which reported that he’d talked about the Jazz moving on to considering trade scenarios instead of finding a financial settlement.
“I was asked if we are discussing a buyout and I said ‘no.’ The rest is pure speculation,” Rudoy said. “There is no trade talk that I know about.”
So, the two sides are not discussing a buyout anymore, but there are no trade talks? Meaning the Jazz are going to pay Bell $3.5 million to take up a roster spot but sit at home on his couch, eat Bon Bons and watch games? And they are not trying to move him?
No, makes no sense to us either. Things are going to break one way or another.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43