Oct 24, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Like most NBA players, there is no appointment viewing television for Pau Gasol. He can’t schedule a set time to watch his favorite show live. Mostly because he is appointment viewing, him and his Lakers. People tune in to watch them, so they play games (and travel) at the times you are usually in front of the television, trying to catch up on DVR’d episodes of “Parenthood” and “Revolution.”
But the intellectual and well-read Gasol (book seen in his locker this week: “The Tao of Pooh”) does watch television. He just likes to do it on DVD, where he can burn through a lot of episodes at a time, he told Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times. A lot of NBA players do that as well.
So what is Gasol watching?
“I’m watching Fringe,” said Gasol. “I’m in the second season.”
You know “Fringe,” Fox’s attempt to recapture the “X-Files” lightning in a bottle. I’d tell you what I thought of it if I had ever watched an episode.
So what else? “Homeland?” Not yet, not until he has a couple seasons to get through. Then he started soliciting suggestions from Pincus and the media.
“How about Breaking Bad?” asked Gasol, who also noted he’s on the sixth season of “Dexter…”
Gasol doesn’t watch “Modern Family,” missed out on “Arrested Development” but admitted to watching “Two and a Half Men” during the Charlie Sheen era.
Two and a Half Men? Really? Wow. I take back my defense of him in the past. Maybe he is soft. Although since he’s at least watching “Dexter” I’ll let it slide. And I’ll throw in a recommendation for “Boardwalk Empire.”
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32