Oct 24, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
That sore foot of Kobe Bryant’s — the one that kept him out of the past couple practices and the Lakers latest preseason game — is now shutting him down for the rest of the preseason.
But expect to see Dwight Howard back in the Lakers final preseason game Thursday.
Kobe doesn’t really miss time — the guy has played with gnarled fingers — but said his foot was painful enough that he likely would have missed the Lakers game against the Clippers Wednesday even if it were the regular season. But since it’s the preseason, the Lakers are shutting him down until the season opener against Dallas next Tuesday, the team announced.
He injured the foot when it was stepped on Sunday against the Kings. He tried the whole “this is probably good because my body could use the rest” line, which may have some truth in it but is not really how Kobe’s mind works. Not when the games matter anyway.
Dwight Howard is not playing Wednesday night either, but he likely will play Thursday night when the Lakers travel to San Diego to face the Kings again. That’s a good matchup for him because DeMarcus Cousins will not make life easy for Howard.
So for those of you scoring at home, the healthiest Laker this preseason is Steve Nash, the 38-year-old with the chronic bad back.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 4
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5