Kobe shut down for preseason, Howard likely plays Thursday

Oct 24, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

That sore foot of Kobe Bryant’s — the one that kept him out of the past couple practices and the Lakers latest preseason game — is now shutting him down for the rest of the preseason.

But expect to see Dwight Howard back in the Lakers final preseason game Thursday.

Kobe doesn’t really miss time — the guy has played with gnarled fingers — but said his foot was painful enough that he likely would have missed the Lakers game against the Clippers Wednesday even if it were the regular season. But since it’s the preseason, the Lakers are shutting him down until the season opener against Dallas next Tuesday, the team announced.

He injured the foot when it was stepped on Sunday against the Kings. He tried the whole “this is probably good because my body could use the rest” line, which may have some truth in it but is not really how Kobe’s mind works. Not when the games matter anyway.

Dwight Howard is not playing Wednesday night either, but he likely will play Thursday night when the Lakers travel to San Diego to face the Kings again. That’s a good matchup for him because DeMarcus Cousins will not make life easy for Howard.

So for those of you scoring at home, the healthiest Laker this preseason is Steve Nash, the 38-year-old with the chronic bad back.

1. timb12 - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM

When was the last time Kobe was 100%?

• stayhigh_247 - Oct 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Lower Merion

2. jerdogthompson - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Not to be a doomsday merchant but I’ve seen this injury go from a strain to a sprain to a bruised foot.

All I’m saying is don’t be shocked if this turns into a Lisfranc injury.

Fact, Kobe is 34 yes. This is his 17th season times 82 games equals roughly 1350 games and you can add about 200 playoff games for a total of 1550 games.

Kobe’s young but he’s really, really old in NBA years. He still has the ability to dominate in spurts but he simply can’t bounce back from injuries as quickly. Not to mention, he’s also prone to injuries given all the wear & tear.

Look, I really don’t like the Lakers but I don’t want them at anything less than full strength this season as I don’t want to hear excuses.

• eventhorizon04 - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:37 PM

…..Yeah, the fact that the severity of Kobe’s injury has decreased with time (from “sprain” to “bruise”) is clearly a sign that it’s in fact a season-ending Lisfranc injury that puts Kobe’s career in jeopardy.

Because it couldn’t mean that it’s a minor injury that’s healing with time, which is why Kobe is ruled as probable for the season opener.

Nice work, doctor.

3. jerdogthompson - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Well event, not that I’m a doctor but I did stay at a holiday inn.

I merely regurgitated the recent announcements from Laker/Media sources. The Lisfranc part came from being a McFadden (Raiders) fan and that’s exactly how they portrayed the injury last year. If you read my post properly you would have seen that it wasn’t a prognosis rather a connection of dots. I ended by saying I hope that’s not the case as I don’t want to beat this team at anything less than full strength. I don’t want ANY excuses…,,,,,,Enjoy.

4. jerdogthompson - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM

This is not the forum butt, where do I start ? Lakers looked like emulsified dog doo doo tonight. BG showed why he’s better than Gasoft and Bledsoe owned SB and JM too boot!

Hope the Lakers have something better to offer come opening night!

Oh yeah, AJ hit one shot. Is that the definition of a “one pump chump”?

5. qteo - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM

They just don’t admit it, they r lazy. They don’t think the preseason games are needed for them bcuz they are established players. They like to get away with the minimum if they could. How is that during the reg season they can tough it out, but not during preseason.

6. spthegr8 - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM

@Jerdogthompson
    Blake Griffin is better then Pau Gasol????? Really..????REALLY….????… If you EVER had any basketball credibility. Its for DAMN SURE GONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #GTHFOH!!!!!

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview