Oct 23, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Eddy Curry had actually looked better than you might expect for the Spurs this preseason, but that wasn’t enough. He was a longshot from the start. The Spurs cut Curry on Tuesday (along with Derrick Brown), the team announced. Hard to imagine a soft landing spot for him in the league.
• Yao Ming golfing. Those are going to be some very long clubs.
• Actually less shocking, the Pistons exercised their fourth-year option for Greg Monroe.
• An interesting interview with Jim Buss, the guy at the top of the Lakers front office food chain right now, son of Jerry Buss and the guy making the decisions. And he has his own stats formula, thank you very much.
• Paul Pierce can’t see himself in any uniform but a Celtics’ one. Have to agree there, it would look weird.
• Lamar Odom was held out of Monday’s Clippers preseason game with what Vinny Del Negro described as a bone bruise on his knee. That does not help his conditioning issue.
• Rookie Doran Lamb, who had battled an elbow injury, returned to practice for the Bucks on Tuesday.
• Here is a blog post slamming the general populace of the Los Angeles Lakers fan base (some NSFW language, if that bothers you). As a guy who cut his blogging teeth on a Lakers site of my creation and who lives in Los Angeles, all I’ll say is this — I started a Lakers blog in part to be able to control the level of Lakers discourse going on around me.
• For those of you who need your occasional fix of international basketball, we have good news. FIBA and ESPN have announced a multi-year deal that has them covering the FIBA Americas Championships (2013, 2015), the
EuroBaskets (2013, 2015), the FIBA Basketball World Cup (2014). You can also add the FIBA World Championship for Women (2014) to the list.
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 11
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 17
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 51
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22