Oct 23, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
Anyone interested in adding Raja Bell and his $3.5 million deal to your roster?
Since this summer the Jazz and Bell’s agent have been trying to workout a buyout of the veteran guard, but the Jazz wanted a deeper discount to let him go then Bell was offering. And frankly, why should Bell take less? The Jazz told Bell not to bother to come to training camp and negotiations continued.
But they have now broken off, Bell’s agent told RealGM:
After months of negotiations, Raja Bell and the Utah Jazz have moved past contract buyout talks and are now weighing trade scenarios, agent Herb Rudoy told RealGM on Tuesday afternoon.
There are veteran, contending teams that could use guard depth and see Bell as an option. Bell did not play well in Utah the past couple seasons at all (PER of 8.2 and 8.3) but he can still knock down the three (39 percent last season) and may have some value in another system. Although at age 36 he’s not getting any extension offers.
The challenge is teams will have to offer the Jazz something they want — which means Lakers fans stop dreaming of a Steve Blake for Raja Bells swap. Nobody is just taking Blake because you don’t want him.
But if you have young player or someone the Jazz feel is an upgrade and can fit into their plans going forward, you apparently can get a deal done now.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18