Oct 23, 2012, 3:43 PM EST
Anyone interested in adding Raja Bell and his $3.5 million deal to your roster?
Since this summer the Jazz and Bell’s agent have been trying to workout a buyout of the veteran guard, but the Jazz wanted a deeper discount to let him go then Bell was offering. And frankly, why should Bell take less? The Jazz told Bell not to bother to come to training camp and negotiations continued.
But they have now broken off, Bell’s agent told RealGM:
After months of negotiations, Raja Bell and the Utah Jazz have moved past contract buyout talks and are now weighing trade scenarios, agent Herb Rudoy told RealGM on Tuesday afternoon.
There are veteran, contending teams that could use guard depth and see Bell as an option. Bell did not play well in Utah the past couple seasons at all (PER of 8.2 and 8.3) but he can still knock down the three (39 percent last season) and may have some value in another system. Although at age 36 he’s not getting any extension offers.
The challenge is teams will have to offer the Jazz something they want — which means Lakers fans stop dreaming of a Steve Blake for Raja Bells swap. Nobody is just taking Blake because you don’t want him.
But if you have young player or someone the Jazz feel is an upgrade and can fit into their plans going forward, you apparently can get a deal done now.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)