Oct 23, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
Anyone interested in adding Raja Bell and his $3.5 million deal to your roster?
Since this summer the Jazz and Bell’s agent have been trying to workout a buyout of the veteran guard, but the Jazz wanted a deeper discount to let him go then Bell was offering. And frankly, why should Bell take less? The Jazz told Bell not to bother to come to training camp and negotiations continued.
But they have now broken off, Bell’s agent told RealGM:
After months of negotiations, Raja Bell and the Utah Jazz have moved past contract buyout talks and are now weighing trade scenarios, agent Herb Rudoy told RealGM on Tuesday afternoon.
There are veteran, contending teams that could use guard depth and see Bell as an option. Bell did not play well in Utah the past couple seasons at all (PER of 8.2 and 8.3) but he can still knock down the three (39 percent last season) and may have some value in another system. Although at age 36 he’s not getting any extension offers.
The challenge is teams will have to offer the Jazz something they want — which means Lakers fans stop dreaming of a Steve Blake for Raja Bells swap. Nobody is just taking Blake because you don’t want him.
But if you have young player or someone the Jazz feel is an upgrade and can fit into their plans going forward, you apparently can get a deal done now.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4