Oct 23, 2012, 3:43 PM EST
Anyone interested in adding Raja Bell and his $3.5 million deal to your roster?
Since this summer the Jazz and Bell’s agent have been trying to workout a buyout of the veteran guard, but the Jazz wanted a deeper discount to let him go then Bell was offering. And frankly, why should Bell take less? The Jazz told Bell not to bother to come to training camp and negotiations continued.
But they have now broken off, Bell’s agent told RealGM:
After months of negotiations, Raja Bell and the Utah Jazz have moved past contract buyout talks and are now weighing trade scenarios, agent Herb Rudoy told RealGM on Tuesday afternoon.
There are veteran, contending teams that could use guard depth and see Bell as an option. Bell did not play well in Utah the past couple seasons at all (PER of 8.2 and 8.3) but he can still knock down the three (39 percent last season) and may have some value in another system. Although at age 36 he’s not getting any extension offers.
The challenge is teams will have to offer the Jazz something they want — which means Lakers fans stop dreaming of a Steve Blake for Raja Bells swap. Nobody is just taking Blake because you don’t want him.
But if you have young player or someone the Jazz feel is an upgrade and can fit into their plans going forward, you apparently can get a deal done now.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 0
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 33
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11