Ray Allen says surgically repaired ankle still sore every day

Oct 23, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT

Ray Allen AP

This may be something Ray Allen has to deal with for the rest of his career.

Allen has not looked like his vintage self in the preseason — he is 6-of-22 from three (27.3 percent) and admits he’s not been able to get in into the kind of shape he wants.

The reason for the conditioning (and at least part of the shooting) is the surgically repaired ankle that is still giving him problems, he told ESPN’s Heat Index.

“I still deal with soreness in my ankle that I work through every day,” Allen said after the Heat’s practice Monday at AmericanAirlines Arena.

“I would like to be in better shape, better condition,” Allen said. “So, you know, I still have to make sure I don’t do too much pounding, because I’m a runner. On off days, I like to run. Right now, I’ve switched to the bicycle to stay off the pounding as much.”

For a lot of guys you might be concerned, but for a veteran like Allen it’s less of one. He knows what the preseason is for, he knows that it’s hard to get in a flow with the inconsistent and unpredictable minutes the preseason brings.

But it’s something to watch going forward. The Heat already have their share of banged up long-range shooters (Mario Chalmers is due back this week, Mike Miller is the walking injured) they don’t need another one. Especially if it is Ray Allen.

1. metalhead65 - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I am surprised he is not blaming rondo or the celtics for that but I guess that will come later when he plays as bad for the heat as he did for the celtics last season.

• hehateme2 - Oct 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM

name should be meathead65 based on your comment.

• cantonbound13 - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:49 AM

He’ll fit in nicely with the Heat & their bandwagon fans because he’s so sensitive.

2. mogogo1 - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Rest of his career? He’s going to be sore for the rest of his life. These guys beat the heck out of their bodies. I’m reminded of that every time I watch the Buick commercial where Shaq stiffly makes it down the stairs to the car. And that’s how he moves after several years away from the pounding.

3. libertynchurch - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Ray knows that he is there for the Second Season. He has a whole season to train, as he is not needed to make the Playoffs.

Lets have a Dream Finals, Lakers vs Heat, everybody healthy!

4. j0esixpack - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Although some are predicting Allen will be the Sixth Man of the year, that assumes he’s going be playing all season through this pain.

That would be very stupid, though I expect that from the bozos making such predictions (solely because he has an insecurity complex about the Celtics)

The Heat need him for playoff depth and playoff scoring off the bench. Although everyone expects the Heat to win the Atlantic Division, they simply need to be healthy and strong for the playoffs

Failing to gather more depth may come back to haunt the Heat. Even guys as young as LeBron don’t benefit from playing 40 minutes a game through the regular season.

But for Allen, it’d be better to let him sit the entire regular season and have him healthy and rested for the playoffs.

• Kurt Helin - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Who is making that prediction? I mean, outside Heat fans who took the brown acid…

• j0esixpack - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Oh, that was just one of bozosforall’s recent rants. Acid is one of the leading theories there as well.

Hey – I’m still a Ray Allen fan (though won’t be cheering for him when he plays the Celtic). And he can still hit the “killer” threes – and while I THINK the Celtics made an upgrade over him, I still need to see someone prove themselves doing what Allen did in a big game.

I’m just saying the Heat would be wise to reserve Allen and his health for the games that will truly count.

If I were a Heat fan I’d rather see him sit on the bench all year and be healthy and productive in the playoffs than contend for Sixth Man of the Year.

5. cantonbound13 - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:51 AM

It’s called arthritis, tends to happen to seniors.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches