Oct 23, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
This may be something Ray Allen has to deal with for the rest of his career.
Allen has not looked like his vintage self in the preseason — he is 6-of-22 from three (27.3 percent) and admits he’s not been able to get in into the kind of shape he wants.
The reason for the conditioning (and at least part of the shooting) is the surgically repaired ankle that is still giving him problems, he told ESPN’s Heat Index.
“I still deal with soreness in my ankle that I work through every day,” Allen said after the Heat’s practice Monday at AmericanAirlines Arena.
“I would like to be in better shape, better condition,” Allen said. “So, you know, I still have to make sure I don’t do too much pounding, because I’m a runner. On off days, I like to run. Right now, I’ve switched to the bicycle to stay off the pounding as much.”
For a lot of guys you might be concerned, but for a veteran like Allen it’s less of one. He knows what the preseason is for, he knows that it’s hard to get in a flow with the inconsistent and unpredictable minutes the preseason brings.
But it’s something to watch going forward. The Heat already have their share of banged up long-range shooters (Mario Chalmers is due back this week, Mike Miller is the walking injured) they don’t need another one. Especially if it is Ray Allen.
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 0
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 4
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 33
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 33
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay