Oct 23, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
This may be something Ray Allen has to deal with for the rest of his career.
Allen has not looked like his vintage self in the preseason — he is 6-of-22 from three (27.3 percent) and admits he’s not been able to get in into the kind of shape he wants.
The reason for the conditioning (and at least part of the shooting) is the surgically repaired ankle that is still giving him problems, he told ESPN’s Heat Index.
“I still deal with soreness in my ankle that I work through every day,” Allen said after the Heat’s practice Monday at AmericanAirlines Arena.
“I would like to be in better shape, better condition,” Allen said. “So, you know, I still have to make sure I don’t do too much pounding, because I’m a runner. On off days, I like to run. Right now, I’ve switched to the bicycle to stay off the pounding as much.”
For a lot of guys you might be concerned, but for a veteran like Allen it’s less of one. He knows what the preseason is for, he knows that it’s hard to get in a flow with the inconsistent and unpredictable minutes the preseason brings.
But it’s something to watch going forward. The Heat already have their share of banged up long-range shooters (Mario Chalmers is due back this week, Mike Miller is the walking injured) they don’t need another one. Especially if it is Ray Allen.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10