Oct 23, 2012, 7:56 PM EST
When NBA general managers were asked who they thought would win the NBA title this year, they overwhelmingly chose the Miami Heat to repeat. Even people looking to pick against the Heat this season have to do so in terms of defining their pick against Miami. They have the best player in the game, two other elite players and system in place now that is proven to work.
But there are no unbeatable teams. Achilles had his heel.
“Yeah, we have weaknesses,” said Wade, whose Heat went 46-20 during the 2011-12 lockout-shortened campaign, an equivalent of 57-25 during a normal season. “We’re not the biggest team in the league. It’s a glaring weakness.”
One of the turning points in last season’s title run for the Heat was when they had to adapt to deal with Roy Hibbert from the Indiana Pacers. Miami had now way of just matching up with him, they had to adapt and find a way to exploit their advantages as well.
“As well as it’s a weakness, it’s a strength,” Wade said. “And so we got a weakness. We’re not going to come out and we’re not going to say this big guy is going to get 14 rebounds a game. We have to rebound collectively as a team. So, obviously, that’s a weakness for us. But it’s also a strength for us because at the other end of the floor, when the ball gets off the rim, we’re able to use our speed.”
And as of right now, 29 other teams have to adjust to that strength. Size might be part of that equation — Philadelphia, Brooklyn Indiana and the Lakers may have a leg up there — but it’s not enough by itself.
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 4
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 5
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (39)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)