Oct 23, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
When NBA general managers were asked who they thought would win the NBA title this year, they overwhelmingly chose the Miami Heat to repeat. Even people looking to pick against the Heat this season have to do so in terms of defining their pick against Miami. They have the best player in the game, two other elite players and system in place now that is proven to work.
But there are no unbeatable teams. Achilles had his heel.
“Yeah, we have weaknesses,” said Wade, whose Heat went 46-20 during the 2011-12 lockout-shortened campaign, an equivalent of 57-25 during a normal season. “We’re not the biggest team in the league. It’s a glaring weakness.”
One of the turning points in last season’s title run for the Heat was when they had to adapt to deal with Roy Hibbert from the Indiana Pacers. Miami had now way of just matching up with him, they had to adapt and find a way to exploit their advantages as well.
“As well as it’s a weakness, it’s a strength,” Wade said. “And so we got a weakness. We’re not going to come out and we’re not going to say this big guy is going to get 14 rebounds a game. We have to rebound collectively as a team. So, obviously, that’s a weakness for us. But it’s also a strength for us because at the other end of the floor, when the ball gets off the rim, we’re able to use our speed.”
And as of right now, 29 other teams have to adjust to that strength. Size might be part of that equation — Philadelphia, Brooklyn Indiana and the Lakers may have a leg up there — but it’s not enough by itself.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6