Oct 23, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
Veteran Cavaliers shooting guard Daniel Gibson is not suiting up for Tuesday night’s preseason game against Indiana and he could be out a little while.
Gibson has been diagnosed with concussion symptoms, the team reports.
That means to get back on the court he has to pass a battery of tests and he has to be cleared by the league neurologist. This is part of a new NBA concussion protocol that was put in place before last season. While concussions are not a problem in the NBA they way they are in football or other contact sports, the NBA wanted to be proactive.
There is no timetable on Gibson’s return. The Cavaliers open the regular season a week from Tuesday, Oct. 30, at home against the Wizards.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30