Oct 22, 2012, 2:06 PM EST
Since being amnestied by the Orlando Magic before the start of last season, Gilbert Arenas has been trying to make his way back into the league.
He finally caught on with the Memphis Grizzlies near the end of the season, making 17 regular season appearances and averaging only 4.2 points in 12.4 minutes a game. In the playoffs he played a total of 23 minutes, scoring a grand total of 4 points in the process.
It’s no surprise that after such a lackluster showing, Arenas still has not found an NBA team to employ him. So, he looks to be moving on to play in China. This according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
Free agent guard Gilbert Arenas is close to signing a one-year deal in China with the Guandong Southern Tigers, a source told Yahoo! Sports.
China has been a popular destination for NBA players over the years, especially for aging veterans with name recognition. Stephon Marbury has carved out a nice second stage of his career in China. Recently, Tracy McGrady retired from the NBA but noted that he’d be moving on to continue playing in Chinese Basketball Association. Arenas looks to be next.
It may be a far cry from the days where he was lighting up teams for 60 points and screaming “hibachi!” after made baskets but I refuse to treat this as a bad thing for Arenas. Playing basketball is a finite profession. You only have so many years in you before you can’t do it anymore for a living. If Arenas wants to continue to chase his dream as a professional baller, whether that’s in the states or two continents away, good for him.
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 3
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 7
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 21
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17