Oct 22, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT
Since being amnestied by the Orlando Magic before the start of last season, Gilbert Arenas has been trying to make his way back into the league.
He finally caught on with the Memphis Grizzlies near the end of the season, making 17 regular season appearances and averaging only 4.2 points in 12.4 minutes a game. In the playoffs he played a total of 23 minutes, scoring a grand total of 4 points in the process.
It’s no surprise that after such a lackluster showing, Arenas still has not found an NBA team to employ him. So, he looks to be moving on to play in China. This according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
Free agent guard Gilbert Arenas is close to signing a one-year deal in China with the Guandong Southern Tigers, a source told Yahoo! Sports.
China has been a popular destination for NBA players over the years, especially for aging veterans with name recognition. Stephon Marbury has carved out a nice second stage of his career in China. Recently, Tracy McGrady retired from the NBA but noted that he’d be moving on to continue playing in Chinese Basketball Association. Arenas looks to be next.
It may be a far cry from the days where he was lighting up teams for 60 points and screaming “hibachi!” after made baskets but I refuse to treat this as a bad thing for Arenas. Playing basketball is a finite profession. You only have so many years in you before you can’t do it anymore for a living. If Arenas wants to continue to chase his dream as a professional baller, whether that’s in the states or two continents away, good for him.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 41
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30