Oct 22, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
You know the play were are talking about — the jump shooter goes up and gets his shot off as the defender comes out to challenge the shot, then just as the defender arrives the shooter kicks his legs forward, makes contact with the defender and goes down like he was shot. It’s about trying to draw the foul.
Also, officials will emphasize the “Reggie Miller rule” for a shooter who kicks his legs out during jump-shot attempts to create contact and draw fouls. Officials plan to call offensive fouls on shooters who blatantly kick out their legs to initiate contact.
Dwyane Wade, you’ve been warned.
This is a good thing, part of the league trying to crack down on flopping. In an ideal world this is a “no call” situation, but if calling a few fouls on the shooters gets in their heads and guys stop doing it, all the better.
On the flip side, the league needs to also crack down on defenders coming out to challenge the shot then intentionally getting their feet under where the shooter lands. We’ve been seeing that more lately it seems and it’s another trend that needs to end.
One other note on referee focus from the Globe:
Officials will also be more aware of the “Respect the Game” rule, being more stringent on players who show an excessive amount of emotion arguing calls or attempt to delay the game while protesting. Finally, officials will lighten up on calling technical fouls for players who throw the ball against the stanchions.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29