Oct 22, 2012, 12:54 PM EST
You know the play were are talking about — the jump shooter goes up and gets his shot off as the defender comes out to challenge the shot, then just as the defender arrives the shooter kicks his legs forward, makes contact with the defender and goes down like he was shot. It’s about trying to draw the foul.
Also, officials will emphasize the “Reggie Miller rule” for a shooter who kicks his legs out during jump-shot attempts to create contact and draw fouls. Officials plan to call offensive fouls on shooters who blatantly kick out their legs to initiate contact.
Dwyane Wade, you’ve been warned.
This is a good thing, part of the league trying to crack down on flopping. In an ideal world this is a “no call” situation, but if calling a few fouls on the shooters gets in their heads and guys stop doing it, all the better.
On the flip side, the league needs to also crack down on defenders coming out to challenge the shot then intentionally getting their feet under where the shooter lands. We’ve been seeing that more lately it seems and it’s another trend that needs to end.
One other note on referee focus from the Globe:
Officials will also be more aware of the “Respect the Game” rule, being more stringent on players who show an excessive amount of emotion arguing calls or attempt to delay the game while protesting. Finally, officials will lighten up on calling technical fouls for players who throw the ball against the stanchions.
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 4
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 47
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 16
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8