Oct 22, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
You get the feeling this will be a trend this season.
Avery Johnson is a coach who focuses on getting his guys to defend. He’s got a very talented offensive roster in Brooklyn but not guys really known as “defense first” players — when Brook Lopez is the guy defending the paint you’re going to be a little soft. And so, you have inherent conflict. Johnson spent most of the preseason focused on the Nets defense.
Yet he is already disappointed in the team’s attitude about being tough and defending. Which considering we’re a week away from the start of the season sounds is both less than ideal and just about what we should all expect. Via Stephen Bondy at the New York Daily News.
“This team does not have the personality that I thought it would have at this point,” Johnson said. “That has been somewhat of a disappointment. Are they trying? Yes. Is anybody panicking? No. But we should have a little bit more physicality…
“We don’t have a hit-first mentality, and if you don’t have a hit-first mentality, you’re going to get hit,” said Johnson, who was encouraged by Sunday’s practice. “So it’s not about a turnover or a guy forgetting a play. No, I’m talking about defensively. We haven’t done a good job — I don’t care if we’re fatigued, I don’t care if we didn’t practice. We haven’t done a good job protecting the paint. For us to go where we want to go, we have to be able to protect the paint a lot better than what we have.”
My suggestion is you just bookmark this post so I don’t have to write it 45 times again this season in varying forms. Just every couple days come back and read it, the tone will still be relevant.
The Nets are going to score in bunches, they have firepower and a guy who can distribute in Deron Williams. Joe Johnson could put up big numbers and not have to do it in isolation sets. But the other end of the floor will be their undoing.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16