Oct 22, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
You get the feeling this will be a trend this season.
Avery Johnson is a coach who focuses on getting his guys to defend. He’s got a very talented offensive roster in Brooklyn but not guys really known as “defense first” players — when Brook Lopez is the guy defending the paint you’re going to be a little soft. And so, you have inherent conflict. Johnson spent most of the preseason focused on the Nets defense.
Yet he is already disappointed in the team’s attitude about being tough and defending. Which considering we’re a week away from the start of the season sounds is both less than ideal and just about what we should all expect. Via Stephen Bondy at the New York Daily News.
“This team does not have the personality that I thought it would have at this point,” Johnson said. “That has been somewhat of a disappointment. Are they trying? Yes. Is anybody panicking? No. But we should have a little bit more physicality…
“We don’t have a hit-first mentality, and if you don’t have a hit-first mentality, you’re going to get hit,” said Johnson, who was encouraged by Sunday’s practice. “So it’s not about a turnover or a guy forgetting a play. No, I’m talking about defensively. We haven’t done a good job — I don’t care if we’re fatigued, I don’t care if we didn’t practice. We haven’t done a good job protecting the paint. For us to go where we want to go, we have to be able to protect the paint a lot better than what we have.”
My suggestion is you just bookmark this post so I don’t have to write it 45 times again this season in varying forms. Just every couple days come back and read it, the tone will still be relevant.
The Nets are going to score in bunches, they have firepower and a guy who can distribute in Deron Williams. Joe Johnson could put up big numbers and not have to do it in isolation sets. But the other end of the floor will be their undoing.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 4
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record