Oct 22, 2012, 11:17 PM EDT
“I don’t think it’s nothing too serious.”
I will ignore the double negative and assume he meant it wasn’t that bad. Which is good news.
UPDATE 10:27 pm: Good news in the first update on this — X-rays came back negative, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
That’s good news because it’s ‘s not a structural issue. Still could mean he misses the start of the season and a little longer, depends on how serious a sprain. The Hornets want to let this fully heal — a sprained ankle is more likely to re-sprain if it is not fully healed, then it can become chronic.
10:08 pm: This is not the way to start out your rookie season.
Austin Rivers went to the floor in a scramble for the ball in the first quarter of the Hornets preseason game Monday against the Mavericks and had an awkward landing that had him fall to the ground. He had to be carried off the court, reports the New Orleans Times Picayune and other media at the game. He did not return to the game.
The official report is a sprained right ankle. How bad a sprain is not yet known, but he reportedly was in a lot of pain as he left the floor.
As of now there is no timetable on his return, that will be established in the next 24 hours.
Rivers was unimpressive at NBA Summer League at least in part due to pain in his right ankle. He had surgery just after his games in Las Vegas to clear out bone chips that were floating around in there.
This is not good. Rivers was drafted No. 10 overall and he along with No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis and Eric Gordon are expected to be part of a young core for this team going forward. On the bright side, the Hornets are saying Gordon could be back for opening night, reports Marc Stein at ESPN. But right now that’s not much consolation.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 0
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 9
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 7
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0