Oct 21, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Eric Gordon was limited in training camp with soreness in his knee which has given him problems for over a year. He was supposed to return for preseason, but that hasn’t happened yet. And now coach Monty Williams is talking about him missing the entire preseason. From the Times-Picayune:
But Williams said Sunday that Gordon could miss the final three preseason games because he is not in appropriate conditioning due to the missed time caused by his sore knee. Williams also theres also a chance power forward Jason Smith could miss the remainder of the preseason after injuring his shoulder in a practice last week. Gordon has missed all five preseason games, while Smith has played in only the preseason opener against the Orlando Magic.
“I don’t see them playing in the next couple of games, maybe not anymore in the preseason, Williams said. “It is not ideal, but it is the situation that we have. Jason is still feeling pain. Eric got to get his condition up; that’s what he’s working on now. But he’s doing more and more everyday. He’s doing a lot more drill work with the team and he’s in all the huddles. He’s more engaged each day.”
There’s no reason to sound the alarms, but you may want to at least check where the button is on the dashboard. Gordon should account for 25 to 30 percent of the Hornets’ offense this year, and they invested a huge amount of money for him in the offseason.
The Hornets are playing it safe, though, which is the right thing. They need him at a 100 percent. He can miss the preseason, the start of the regular season, the first month of play. They need him for the majority of the season, and the years to come.
We’ll keep you updated on his progress.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 32
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0