Oct 20, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
At this point, every roll of the ankle for Stephen Curry is accompanied by concern, frustration, and that all-too-familiar queasy feeling. Curry is just too good to always be on the bench in a suit, and no matter what team you pull for, it’s hard not to feel for the guy. As it turns out, last night’s ankle roll was more of a scare than anything else, as Curry tried to re-enter the game before he was quickly (and wisely) shot down by head coach Mark Jackson.
And Jackson is taking precautions, saying Saturday he would not play Curry the rest of the preseason. Even though nobody thinks it is that serious.
Curry described his collision with Wes Matthews as a “freak play”, and you can’t blame the guy if he was a little scared immediately afterward. Everyone deals with being scared in their own special way. Some can laugh it off, some can shake it off. But sometimes, you just want to punch the person responsible.
Stephen Curry (@StephenCurry30) October 20, 2012
It’s fun to see Curry lightheartedly using Twitter as both a way to reassure his fans that his ankle will be fine and as a bounty hunter recruitment service. The underlying truth here though is that with a contract extension deadline looming, the timing of this is really bad, even though the injury itself doesn’t appear to be.
Regardless of what the actual physical damage was (it sounds like none), Curry’s latest ankle scare reaffirms some doubts that might have been somewhat alleviated after a healthy preseason. All of these injuries and those doubts seem unfair to Curry, but it’s certainly fair for Golden State’s front office to consider any significant future financial investment in Curry as unwise — tantalizing as his talent may be.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48