Oct 20, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
At this point, every roll of the ankle for Stephen Curry is accompanied by concern, frustration, and that all-too-familiar queasy feeling. Curry is just too good to always be on the bench in a suit, and no matter what team you pull for, it’s hard not to feel for the guy. As it turns out, last night’s ankle roll was more of a scare than anything else, as Curry tried to re-enter the game before he was quickly (and wisely) shot down by head coach Mark Jackson.
And Jackson is taking precautions, saying Saturday he would not play Curry the rest of the preseason. Even though nobody thinks it is that serious.
Curry described his collision with Wes Matthews as a “freak play”, and you can’t blame the guy if he was a little scared immediately afterward. Everyone deals with being scared in their own special way. Some can laugh it off, some can shake it off. But sometimes, you just want to punch the person responsible.
Stephen Curry (@StephenCurry30) October 20, 2012
It’s fun to see Curry lightheartedly using Twitter as both a way to reassure his fans that his ankle will be fine and as a bounty hunter recruitment service. The underlying truth here though is that with a contract extension deadline looming, the timing of this is really bad, even though the injury itself doesn’t appear to be.
Regardless of what the actual physical damage was (it sounds like none), Curry’s latest ankle scare reaffirms some doubts that might have been somewhat alleviated after a healthy preseason. All of these injuries and those doubts seem unfair to Curry, but it’s certainly fair for Golden State’s front office to consider any significant future financial investment in Curry as unwise — tantalizing as his talent may be.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 2
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games