Ray Allen wants to do more than shoot threes for Miami

Oct 20, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT

Ray Allen AP

Ray Allen is known for threes. This is not going to shock you. I mean, that’s what he does. He shoots, and makes, a ton of threes. Lots of threes. “ALL OF THE THREES” as the kids might say. But if you’ve watched the Celtics closely, you’ve seen that when teams over-commit to stopping Allen on the inside, he burns them on the cut driving inside. He’s still got remnants of the all-around player he was back in 2005.

And he wants to use more of that with the Heat. From the South Florida Sun-Sentinel:

“In practice, I always posted up,” Allen said. “I just could never convince my coach to allow me go down in the post. He was always telling me he wanted different matchups. I’ve had so many matchups in the post throughout the years. It gives me a different scoring angle. It takes pressure off having always to shoot 3s.”

“What teams try to do is when they want a guy to chase me they bring a small guy that’s quick,” Allen said. “So you roll to your next stunt and you post them and get them out of the game. The way we play here just creates so many different opportunities. You put the other team in so many complicated situations that it forces their defenses to play more uncomfortable.”

via Miami Heat: Although labeled a 3-point shooter, guard Ray Allen feels he can bring more to offense. – Sun Sentinel.

Of the millions of ways the Heat are difficult to defend, this just adds another wrinkle. Neither Shane Battier nor Mike Miller, two of their better wing contributors had the ability last year to post or drive inside consistently. Allen can do that, if healthy and in limited spurts. It means the Heat can survive without having Wade or James on the floor for a few minutes. It means they can use those guys to provide Allen one-on-one opportunities.

But then again, Allen’s ankle is still bothering him and his skills are drastically eroded. He has to pick his spots. That outside shot is still the bread and butter. But anything else he can give them? Absolute gravy on a team already covered in it like Thanksgiving.

1. valleiveme - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Reblogged this on vallejaspe.

2. libertynchurch - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Drastically eroded!? Pat Riley thinks he still has enough to help win a Ring. The Celtics are bummed that he left. Seems like the league doesn’t agree with that ‘drastically eroded’ assessment. Too strong. What about ‘High mileage, but professionally maintained’?

3. passerby23 - Oct 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Allen: “Hey coach, why don’t we run me on the block, a 37 yr old specialist shooter for the past 5 seasons? I know I haven’t done ANY of it throughout my career and I’m the 4th or 5th offensive option, but defenses won’t see it coming!”

Spoelstra: “Just stand in the corner and Lebron will find you. That’s the offense.”

Allen: “But coach, they’re putting a little guy on me. I’ve got this.”

Spoelstra: “We didn’t sign you to post up guards. Get open and shoot the damn 3! THAT’S your job!”

4. damp1015 - Oct 21, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Allen is smart and he knows what he can do to make him that much more valuable. If he did this, only real Elite Defenders would be able to handle him. Honestly, how many Elite Defenders are there? And some are not quick enough to run the court with him and then deal with be posted up? If he does this, Miami is going to take this almost too easily.

But I hope not, for I am a Knicks fan.

5. sellahh - Oct 21, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Seriously, who cares about Allen postups? This 60year old guy must have forgotten he is on a team with LBJ, Wade and Bosh.

6. eventhorizon04 - Oct 21, 2012 at 7:00 AM

It makes a ton of sense.

Erik Spoelstra has already said he intends to play Dwyane Wade and Ray Allen together.
    Wade is a known post-up threat who isn’t great shooting from the perimeter.
    Allen is a known 3-point shooter who runs through screens and has a quick release once he catches the ball.

When both are on the floor, it makes sense for the opposing team to put the shooting guard on Wade – since the shooting guard can match up with Wade’s strength if Wade tries to post-up – and the point guard on Allen – since the point guard can chase Allen around through screens. However, if teams do that, Allen can post up smaller point guards.

7. hehateme2 - Oct 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM

He looks good now that he’s out of that flugy green.

8. cantonbound13 - Oct 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

In order to fit in with the Heat he has to master the flop

9. michaeljordanseviltwin - Oct 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Ray Allen has definitely stood out in the Heat preseason games. I’m accustomed to seeing Bosh, Wade & James make plays while other guys stand around, get the occasional bucket or rebound. Allen stands out because he makes a steal, leads the fast one play and cuts to the basket for an easy lay-up the next play. He’s a talented guy and can impact the game in many different ways.

I’d say it’s the big 4 in Miami now.

10. miamatt - Oct 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Allen actually hasn’t been that sharp from 3 in the preseason, but he’s surprised me with how many plays around the basket he’s made, as well as how strong his passing has been.

Allen won’t live in the post, but if that is how you punish your matchup, that’s what you do. It’s the exact same thing James, Wade, and Bosh do. Post up the small guys, face up and drive past the big guys. Simple.

• sellahh - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:15 AM

During crunchtime, why would you run a play for Allen? (Unless it’s screen, screen, then some other 10 screens and brick from three). You’ll have 3 better players on the court anyways.
      You know, as far as I’m concerned, let Allen do whatever he wants. Will be fun to watch.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards