Oh, so now Dwight doesn’t want to talk about his future

Oct 20, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

From the Los Angeles Times:

“I’m not going to get into that stuff,” Howard said Friday in a quiet moment before the Lakers last to Sacramento, 103-98, in an exhibition game at Thomas and Mack Center.

“I’m happy that I’m here. This year is very important, and I’m looking forward to doing some great things here.”

via Lakers aren’t pushing it with Dwight Howard – latimes.com.

Well, that seems reasonable. I mean, it’s not like Dwight Howard spent over a year dominating the news cycle by constantly holding his team in limbo in an attempt to not only get his max contract which he was always going to get but to get it where he wanted to get it. It’s not like he had his coach fired along with his GM and ruined an entire year for his teammates while constantly changing his mind and ceaselessly leaking information to the pres through his people. That doesn’t sound like something Dwight would do.

Look, the only way he gets the most money is if he enters unrestricted free agency this summer (as he should have last summer) and then re-signs for the max with the Lakers. That’s what’s going to happen. But this whole “I don’t want to deal with that noise” just seems really disingenuous.

1. ron05342 - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Egomaniac. Pure and simple.

2. succulentnipples - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

This guy sucks as a human.

• mytthor - Oct 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Really? Jesus, friggin butthurt sports fans take everything an athlete does as a personal affront. A guy doesn’t want to play in the city you think he should play in, or he doesn’t handle a situation the way you think he should, and people act like he spit in their face and kicked their grandmother in the stomach.

• ron05342 - Oct 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Nope, not as a personal affront, just calling it like it is.

DH12 is a douche. Who are you, his brother?

• mytthor - Oct 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Nope, don’t know him at all – which means I generally try to refrain from making judgements about him. However, if I was going to do that, I’d weigh the fact that he’s given millions of dollars to charity more heavily than his leveraging the ability to play basketball in the city in which he wants to play basketball.

• tubal22 - Oct 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM

@mytthor: There’s a big difference between having a foundation and giving millions. I’d be willing to bet that Dwight Howard has personally made more from his foundation as an officer than he’s given to charity.

There are a few exceptions, but the main reason these guys set up foundations is either for PR, or to make up jobs for their family/friends. It’s not for the poor people.

And hes, DH12 is a douche. But I don’t think he understands why.

• mytthor - Oct 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM

That’s such a bs argument. Firstly, even if your “I’d be willing to bet” was anything more than a guess, the charity has still facilitated the giving of money to those in need, who cares whether he’s benefitted?

But I’ll even be willing to concede that he’s a douche, or at the very least he comes off like a douche. He certainly threw his coach under the bus. I think another thing you can say pretty unequivocally “doesn’t get it.”

But to say he “sucks as a human” is just absurd. None of us KNOW him as a human! We whine when athletes are too nice, then we whine when they’re not. We whine that Kobe’s too selfish, LeBron’s not selfish enough. We get tired of cliches and non-responsiveness in interviews, then we don’t want to hear the honest answer. People just need to grow up and realize that what they expect of athletes doesn’t matter.

Put it this way. Stan Van Gundy is the guy probably in the best position to dislike Dwight Howard. But even he wouldn’t go anywhere near saying D12 “sucks as a human.” And I think we all know SVG doesn’t mind being honest.

3. money2long - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM

dwight kept his mouth shut, except where he didnt have to like with close people who became sources who ended up leaking things he said.

i remember constantly during his last few months in orlando where he shunned questions away. this is not a first. dwight numerous times told reporters he is only focusing on his next game when pressed about free agency.

dwight has now got a bad rap for ppl leaking his words out. sure, he let it be known publicly he was having trouble with stan van, but that was obvious from watching games. so the signs all pointed he wanted to leave.

i heard dwight say many times he is not the gm. i heard him say he doesnt make the moves. i heard him say all he can do is go out on the floor and play basketball. this is all being said by him when asked about if he was staying. even if someone asked him publicly where he wanted to go, he would just say he plays for orlando currently, and that’s all that matters.

4. snoopy2014 - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM

“But this whole “I don’t want to deal with that noise” just seems really disingenuous.”

Completely disagree with Moore here. Dwight’s handling of the situation last year involved some of the worst decisions I can ever remember. And a lot of those decisions were compounded by the fact that Howard couldn’t seem to keep his mouth shut.

He’s doing the only smart play here. Just refuse to talk about it. The media will of course be trying to bring it up at every turn, and he has to shut it down as best he can. I have no idea how Moore can find some way to criticize this. Not talking about his future and giving bland statements is the only intelligent decision Howard’s made in a long time.

• money2long - Oct 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM

“Not talking about his future and giving bland statements is the only intelligent decision Howard’s made in a long time.”

howard did that last year for the most part. ppl close to him leaked things out (agent, orlando writers).

(see main comment above)

• limonadamas - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:13 AM

@snoopy: you have no idea how Moore can find some way to criticize this? come on… it’s about the Lakers. of course he’s going to criticize it. i’ve never once seen him write anything genuinely good about the Lakers. it’s always backhanded compliments or outright denigration.

btw, i totally agree with your post. he needs to just lay low and play ball.

5. dls612 - Oct 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM

If u noticed he said “this year is important to me” which means Lakers betta win now or he not signing that extension!

6. clownsfan - Oct 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

B.I.T.C.H.

• thomaskouns - Oct 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM

D. Howard is obviously one of those ‘undecided voters.’

His ‘keeping his options open’ game why I loved what Stan Van Gundy did and said.

He said what everyone knew about Dwight but was scared to say.

Too bad Stern pressured ESPN not to hire him as a commentator.

• dls612 - Oct 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM

How ironic that the first five letters in Ur user name describes u perfectly!

7. nightrain42 - Oct 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I think Dwight learned from last year. The media needs to drop it. It makes no sense for him sign now, he loses millions. Get a grip people.

8. dwirk - Oct 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Winning changes everything. Until Howard wins rings, anonymous posters will constantly rip him

9. lakerluver - Oct 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Some of you losers really need to get a life.

10. paulhargis53 - Oct 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

They need to get a life!?!? Hello pot, this is the kettle, you’re black.

You admitted to living vicariously through your team- I stll doubt that you know what that means- its an insult stupid.

You’re a homeristic fanatic, not a fan, a fanatic.
    You sit here in judgement of every poster, and if they don’t gush and preen like a teeanage girl about the lakers like you do, they supposedly don’t know anything.

You’re such a biased pos. Youre a freaking joke.

Don’t you ever wonder why you’re at the center of every argument? When you’re in 12-15 arguments- its not everyone else-its you.

You really don’t know anything, all you do is parrot whatever sportsblog you read.

I’m sure its a homeristic laker blog that caters to homers like you. You are one ignorant sob.I mean Jesus, me, a non laker fan, had to school you on Jerry West and How great of a player he was.
    You know, there isn’t a reason to ever look stupid, the world wide web is there for all too see.

You see, you can’t even be debated with, you have proof in front of you, so you abandon the post and start your ignorance on another one. This is why I choose to just ridicule you, you invite it.
    You remind me of on old friend of mine, he acted just like you, he’s a miserable guy just like you, if his sports teams Di bad, his life is bad. What a sad way to go through life, relying on sports teams for your well being. I’m embarrassed for you.

• mytthor - Oct 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Every sports fan lives vicariously through their team. Ever use the word “we” to refer to your favorite team? Ever jumped up and pumped your fist at a great play by your team? Guess what? The team doesn’t have any actual effect on your life, so if you get enjoyment from them winning, you’re living vicariously through them.

Now that said, I’m a huge laker fan and Lakerluver gets on my nerves as well. There are homers, then there are HOMERS.

11. mytthor - Oct 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

What should he have said? “Yeah I’m totally open to leaving the Lakers after this season, hell if I don’t like it I may force my way out midseason. Don’t you remember last year?” If he’s asked the question there’s apparently no right answer.

12. lakerluver - Oct 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I think YOU are the douche, sir. Like the previous poster asked, what did Dwight do to you personally?

• scalfor3 - Oct 21, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Its perfectly possible to think someone is a douche without that person actually doing something to you. You know, like you just did in that comment?

13. tombstone7 - Oct 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Please Dwight, shut up!

14. magicbucs - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Lakerluvr you’re a douche too just like dwight coward. He’s going to drop LA after this season in a sign and trade if LA is lucky. Which they are…..
    Only Laker fans like dwight coward, unlike when he was in Orlando. Even non magic fans liked him. He turned into a bi@tch and there will be drama in LA all season. Good luck with that..

• money2long - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM

i think the guys who hate dwight now will eventually be like, ‘why the heck do i really hate this guy?’
      if it all stems from free agency and no off the court stuff (minus the skipping of children’s bball camp which has a borderline reasonable explanation), then i think during the course of the season ppl will realize that a few months of business BS shouldn’t define this man.

the hate he is getting is more like just anger. not hate. ppl are mad in regards to how he handled his situation.

15. thesportsguy52 - Oct 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM

You are frustrated as a media member because he is giving you nothing to write about. That’s the only story here. Remember when it was the right thing to do to not talk about your contract or future as a pro athlete? Apparently those days are gone and we were so quick to forgive LeBron for doing the opposite of this.

16. BigBeachBall - Oct 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM

U can have him back orlando… Dwight is a 7 foot queen

17. damp1015 - Oct 21, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Back and forth, whatever the case, it is his life. I hate the Lakers, but I know he will make them so damn dangerous, just look at their starting 5.
    Nash, Kobe, Metta, Gasol & Howard.

Now as far as him as how he answers the media, to each his own. He chooses how he wants his career path to evolve into, so be it. If I was him, I would keep quiet as much as possible. It did hurt his image, but as a basketball player, that has yet to be seen which I highly doubt his words affect his play.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches