Oct 19, 2012, 2:10 AM EDT
He’s been reported to look strong in practice, and now Lakers fans are going to get their wish.
Dwight Howard will make his debut as a Laker Sunday in a preseason game against the Kings at Staples Center, according to Marc Spears and Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
“He is making progress,” one Lakers source told Yahoo! Sports. “There is a good chance he can play Sunday.”
The Lakers have brought Howard along slowly following off-season back surgery. He had been on schedule to play in some preseason games — he’d been cleared for full-contact practices — but the Lakers had wanted to move cautiously because they are not playing for the Oct. 30 season opener and they didn’t want to rush him back.
However, some time on the court for Howard to get used to running the pick-and-roll with Steve Nash, to get used to a high-low post game with Pau Gasol, to learn to play with Kobe Bryant. That group needs to develop some chemistry and some preseason minutes speeds that process along.
Not that Lakers fans should expect a monster night out of Howard, but just having him on the court is a big first step.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6