Oct 19, 2012, 2:10 AM EDT
He’s been reported to look strong in practice, and now Lakers fans are going to get their wish.
Dwight Howard will make his debut as a Laker Sunday in a preseason game against the Kings at Staples Center, according to Marc Spears and Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
“He is making progress,” one Lakers source told Yahoo! Sports. “There is a good chance he can play Sunday.”
The Lakers have brought Howard along slowly following off-season back surgery. He had been on schedule to play in some preseason games — he’d been cleared for full-contact practices — but the Lakers had wanted to move cautiously because they are not playing for the Oct. 30 season opener and they didn’t want to rush him back.
However, some time on the court for Howard to get used to running the pick-and-roll with Steve Nash, to get used to a high-low post game with Pau Gasol, to learn to play with Kobe Bryant. That group needs to develop some chemistry and some preseason minutes speeds that process along.
Not that Lakers fans should expect a monster night out of Howard, but just having him on the court is a big first step.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte