Mike Brown says Howard playing Sunday no certainty

Oct 19, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

So who do you trust more, Adrian Wojnarowski’s sources or Lakers coach Mike Brown?

Thursday night word leaked out — via Wojnarowski and Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports — that the Lakers planned to play Dwight Howard for the first time on Sunday night, in a home preseason game against the Kings.

Friday Brown tried to throw a little cold water on that rumor. Via Mark Medina at the Daily News:

“If he practices tomorrow and our medical people at the end of practice say he can play, he’s going to play,” Brown said following the Lakers’ shootaround Friday at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, where they will play the Sacramento Kings tonight in their fifth preseason game. “People keep asking me and that’s the answer that I’ve given. But people have taken that answer and assume Dwight’s playing. The funny thing about it is people that are printing that, there is a chance he may not play Sunday.”

For a week now Howard has gone full out in 5-on-5 scrimmages in practice and reports have been positive, my guess is he’ll be fine and play. Brown is saying what coaches have been trained to say to cover their… you get the idea.

Before all this leaked, Howard said he would be nervous before his first game.

“Like I told Steve (Nash), I think I’ll be a little nervous out there for the first time,” Howard said of his first game after he was acquired from the Orlando Magic on Aug. 10. “But he said he would help me through it and, hopefully, it will be OK….

“New town, new city, I think everybody is expecting a lot out of his team and they’re expecting a lot out of me,” Howard said. “So, I have to make sure I keep all of that out of my mind when I’m playing and just have fun.”

1. decimusprime - Oct 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM

yea Dwight…have fun! You’re on a “super team” now, and until April have as much fun as you want. Then it’s time to go to work. Because if the Lakers don’t get to the finals this will be a terrible year for LA teams who made blockbuster moves.

2. paulhargis53 - Oct 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Enjoy him while his back holds out laker fans. No way he plays a full season.

3. lakerluver - Oct 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Leave it to the “expert” to shed some light on the situation. God, what a miserable excuse for a man you are to wish harm on another person. On second thought, I take that back. He who argues with a fool, is a fool himself. Karma is gonna get you, FOOL. Go LAKERS!!!

4. paulhargis53 - Oct 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Dunce, I’m not wishing harm on anyone. I’m simply stating a fact. 82 games of pounding and running up and down the court……with a bad back? It isn’t going to happen.
    If you weren’t such a homeristic sob, you would admit it. You just can’t. You are such a doofus.

Karma? Really? My God, how freaking idiotic is that statement? Karma, thanks for the belly laugh, sausage wallet.

Bottom line, back injuries don’t get better and stay better when you are abusing it on a nightly basis. It’s common sense.

I never claimed to be an expert. I do have an opinion though. My opinions are smarter and WAAAY more rational than yours. Your complete bias paints you as ignorant. Everyone but you on this site knows it. They just choose to tolerate your ignorant ass, I don’t.

5. omniusprime - Oct 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM

It sure would be nice to have the full Laker team playing a preseason game and getting a victory. So far they’ve played pathetically and they need to start getting into that winning attitude before the regular season starts.

• manchestermiracle - Oct 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM

No sweat. The Lakers have never placed any importance on preseason records. They use these games to fine tune the lineup and see who’s going to do well in various situations. Finding a good bench rotation to work with the starters is what’s important, because the bench doesn’t look good enough to play on its own.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches