Oct 19, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
Neither one is likely all that serious, and this year’s Celtics have the depth to deal with these kind of things better that past squads, but still this is not ideal.
Pierce injured himself in the second quarter when he took a three-point jump shot and came down on the foot of Gerald Wallace, rolling Pierce’s ankle. He went to the locker room but came out and played in the third quarter, scoring seven points. However, as ankles tend to do, things felt worse when his body cooled down, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Although Pierce still had a noticeable limp as he left the C’s locker room following the win, Rivers isn’t sure how serious his injury is.
“He tweaked his ankle, or he thought we were going to practice tomorrow,” quipped Rivers. “It’s one of the two, I’m not sure yet. But I think he tweaked his ankle. But I am suspicious.”
While Rivers was lighthearted about Pierce, he didn’t have any information on Bass, who tweaked the same knee he injured and missed games with last season just before the All-Star break. Bass injured his knee in the second quarter but did not return to the game.
Rivers had said he planned to rest some players the last couple preseason games. Smart money is on Pierce and Bass right now. So expect a lot of Jared Sullinger at the four and Courtney Lee at the three.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10