Kevin Garnett has found himself a pupil in Jared Sullinger

Oct 18, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT

Italy Celtics  EA7 Emporio Armani Basketball AP

Jared Sullinger is the kind of rookie who fits in on a veteran Celtics team.

He’s not a guy who came in with a big ego, he’s not a guy who came in with a high-flying game. He’s more old school, lots of moves below the rim.

That’s why Kevin Garnett likes the guy.

That is KG’s locker room, his team (despite Rondo’s growth) and he told Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.

“I feel like sometimes young guys come in and have the whole entitlement displayed across their chest,” said Garnett. “This kid is coming in, working his [butt] off, and he’s trying to be better. I’m giving him the book, teaching him everything I know.”

Everything he knows? Undersized guards can expect new hands clapped in their face soon.

Sullinger said he and KG hit it off because the rookie did not show fear.

“[I understood] that I can’t be afraid because he’s Kevin Garnett,” Sullinger told CSNNE.com. “He’s my teammate and I’ve got to attack him every day in practice. That’s what I did and earned his respect like that . . . It was day one since practice. If I got the ball, I’d attack it. Most people would say, ‘Oh my god, Kevin Garnett’s guarding me. Get it out of my hands.’ No, not me. I just always try to attack and play my game.”

Sullinger is key for Boston because they need to keep Garnett rested through the season, which means he’s got to take on some minutes. In the preseason he has looked solid doing it. But they are going to need that when the games are real starting in a couple weeks. That is not time to start showing fear.

1. jayzus - Oct 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I was wondering who was going to pick up the mantle of cheap shot artist when KG retired.

• redsghost - Oct 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I thought Kome and Lebron already had those titles…ohhh wait..I meant flopping. Look for each to drop production by 10 points if they can’t flop anymore.

2. lakerluver - Oct 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I was not overly impressed with Sully in college, but I’m starting the think the C’s might have gotten a steal.

3. dcviking - Oct 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM

next thing you know Sullinger will be looking start fights with 6 foot pt. guards while backing away from those people his own size…

4. raycharlesj - Oct 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM

You mean young guys coming in “displaying entitlement” on chest like you did Garnett??? funny and hypocritical.

5. paulhargis53 - Oct 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM

lakerswallower, you wouldn’t know the 1st thing about talent evaluation.
    Nobody gives a crap what you “think” about anything.

Why don’t you hop in a dryer with magic johnson and a bunch of razor blades?

6. jjordannba - Oct 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Ok Kurt, nice way to work a shot in there about KG. Like I mentioned before though he doesn’t only mess with smaller guards. He messes with anybody and everybody, it’s too get in their heads, it’s a part of his game. I’ve seen him do to Joakim Noah, Al Jefferson, and Andray Blatche, Deandre Jordan, Pietrus, Bargnani, Channing Frye, Wade, Blake Griffin, Dwight Howard. So it really doesn’t matter who it is Kurt.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches