It’s his life: John Wall doesn’t know who Jon Bon Jovi is

Oct 18, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT

From John Wall's Instagram account From John Wall's Instagram account

The Washington Wizards were in Toronto last night — and so was Jon Bon Jovi.

The New Jersey rocker was at the Air Canada Centre and that means those attending the Raptors preseason win were subjected to a lot of blaring Bon Jovi music — “Livin’ on a Prayer,” “You give love a bad name,” It’s my life,” all of it — and they put Bon Jovi’s face on the big screen so Canadians could applaud then turn to their friends and say “Rush is still way better.”

John Wall applauded when Bon Jovi appeared on the big screen, but he didn’t get any of it. From the Washington Post (hat tip Bullets Forever).

Wall was simply being polite, because after the game, Wall was asked about Bon Jovi and he replied, “Who’s that?”

Jan Vesely, the Czech forward getting dressed nearby, was stunned as he looked at Wall.

“No. You don’t know him?” Vesely said. Emeka Okafor, seated in an adjacent locker room stall, shook his head and laughed.

Wall smiled and said, “I’m a 90s baby. I never heard of him.”

As I said on twitter, I see Wall not knowing who Bon Jovi is as a sign of progress in our society. Not that knowing the “dougie” or a host of hip-hop artists is a whole lot better, but small steps. Progress is made in small steps.

1. mr9teen - Oct 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

What in the hell was the point of that story? John Walls “ignorance” of a 80’s hair band rocker that people from New Jersey think is a God or the writer’s requirement to file a story? Now I have wasted time from my life reading something that equal parts stupid and boring. Can’t get that time back.

2. porkcarrot - Oct 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

You now what other time you can’t get back? The time you spend writing an angry comment about a story you could have easily skipped based on the headline alone.

• akmgiants - Oct 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM

sounds like some butthurt bon jovi fans up here

3. nbascreed - Oct 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

“I’m no 90s baby, I know who Bon Jovi is. And if there was a way to unknow that, you know I would. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.”

Stop being a follower. If you liked them in their heyday because you liked THEIR MUSIC then why are you trying to cleverly disown them b/c they’re no longer an “it” band? A girl I dated a few years back still listened to Nsync, when I asked her about it, she said “I like their music”. The whole convo was very refreshing. Beta males live mediocre lives Kurt…try the alpha version, it’s better.

I’m an 80s’ baby and I’ve got It’s Your Life, On a Prayer, Bad Name and Misunderstood on my ipod now. I like the songs. That’s the only justification I need.

• sellahh - Oct 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM

There no song called Its your life from Bon Jovi. Dumb troll and 32 dumb people of which 25 probably didn’t even read the comment.

4. mrklutch - Oct 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Don’t worry, Mr. Wall. Bon Jovi is terrible.

5. libertynchurch - Oct 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Not surprising. Young folks today can be very isolated. There is a HipHop version of everything. As a father of three young adults, I have battled this first hand. This young man has dedicated his life to basketball and has
    probably made him even more isolated.

He shouldn’t be called out for not knowing Bon Jovi’s music. A more insightful question is if he knows who Kevin Porter is?

• sellahh - Oct 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM

You have a liberty in your nickname. You know what you should battle? Your narrow minded way of thinking.

6. michaeljordanseviltwin - Oct 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I know what the faker’s real name is… but I wish I didn’t. John Francis Bongiovi, jr. is a wanna be tough guy and fake rocker.

7. e39er - Oct 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM

He is overrated…still hasn’t developed a legit shot, all he has on his side are speed and handles i’m sorry i’m not sold on John Wall yet

8. libertynchurch - Oct 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Wrong team. Would LOVE to see Mr Wall in purple and gold, with Mr. Howard.

9. thetooloftools - Oct 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM

He also doesn’t know math, science, a forign language, economics, ect.. which made it perfect sense for him to get a full college scholarship.

10. phaden27 - Oct 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Still can’t get him on that helicopter…

11. eugenesaxe - Oct 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

And I don’t know 99% of the rap or country music acts from the past few decades. And I wish I could add Bon Jovi to that list, but luck has to run out sometimes.

12. libertynchurch - Oct 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Again, Its OK that John Wall doesnt know Bon Jovi. If he was a musician, then it would matter. But he is a basketball player, and as a fan, I would expect him to know the history of his team and his sport.

Narrow minded? No. Guilty of making assumptions about John Wall being musically well-rounded? Yes. Nothing personal. As a professional musician, I get offended by some of the crap that Mr. Wall likes to dance to. Profane, misogynistic, anti-social, and musically simplistic. Had a conversation with a famous rapper who thought that The Circle Of Fifths was a drinking game!

Lastly, Liberty and Church is a street corner in Lower Manhattan, where I used to work in World Trade Center Bldg #4.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches