Oct 18, 2012, 11:41 AM EST
Chauncey Billups timetable for return just keeps moving up.
He suffered a torn surgery left Achilles’ tendon — a tough injury to recover from at any age — but had the surgery and promised a comeback. His original optimistic timetable was December, but he has recovered to the point he is practicing with the team now and he could be back sooner than that, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Billups has looked so good in practice and in Tuesday’s scrimmage that the Clippers think he may return sometime in late November.
“He’s been practicing,” Del Negro said. “And now it’s just a matter of when he feels ready. He’ll know it.”
Billups is back with the Clippers because Chris Paul wanted him back. Billups provides the Clippers both depth at the two guard spot and last year also provided a veteran calm to a young team when on the floor — he played smart when they needed it. Now the Clippers have added a lot more veterans to the roster and we should see more of that play from them this year.
This is just good to see because at age 36 this kind of injury would have ended a lot of guys’ careers. But Billups wants to leave the game on his terms and good for him for getting all the way back this fast.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 0
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1