Oct 18, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT
Chauncey Billups timetable for return just keeps moving up.
He suffered a torn surgery left Achilles’ tendon — a tough injury to recover from at any age — but had the surgery and promised a comeback. His original optimistic timetable was December, but he has recovered to the point he is practicing with the team now and he could be back sooner than that, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Billups has looked so good in practice and in Tuesday’s scrimmage that the Clippers think he may return sometime in late November.
“He’s been practicing,” Del Negro said. “And now it’s just a matter of when he feels ready. He’ll know it.”
Billups is back with the Clippers because Chris Paul wanted him back. Billups provides the Clippers both depth at the two guard spot and last year also provided a veteran calm to a young team when on the floor — he played smart when they needed it. Now the Clippers have added a lot more veterans to the roster and we should see more of that play from them this year.
This is just good to see because at age 36 this kind of injury would have ended a lot of guys’ careers. But Billups wants to leave the game on his terms and good for him for getting all the way back this fast.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18