Oct 18, 2012, 11:41 AM EST
Chauncey Billups timetable for return just keeps moving up.
He suffered a torn surgery left Achilles’ tendon — a tough injury to recover from at any age — but had the surgery and promised a comeback. His original optimistic timetable was December, but he has recovered to the point he is practicing with the team now and he could be back sooner than that, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Billups has looked so good in practice and in Tuesday’s scrimmage that the Clippers think he may return sometime in late November.
“He’s been practicing,” Del Negro said. “And now it’s just a matter of when he feels ready. He’ll know it.”
Billups is back with the Clippers because Chris Paul wanted him back. Billups provides the Clippers both depth at the two guard spot and last year also provided a veteran calm to a young team when on the floor — he played smart when they needed it. Now the Clippers have added a lot more veterans to the roster and we should see more of that play from them this year.
This is just good to see because at age 36 this kind of injury would have ended a lot of guys’ careers. But Billups wants to leave the game on his terms and good for him for getting all the way back this fast.
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 2
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 7
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 17
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30