Oct 17, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
Jeremy Lin has shot 21.1 percent through three preseason games.
He is coming off knee surgery and has not found his groove with the Rockets yet. He particularly struggled against the disciplined Spurs defense on Sunday. All this has led to smirks and some cowardly anonymous attacks out of New York, but the Rockets have been patient and called it a process.
“It’s frustrating,” Lin said. “Any time you don’t play as well as you think you’re capable of, it’s frustrating. I have to remember it’s a process. It’s not just going to happen overnight for me. I’m going to have to build and build step-by-step, brick by brick. As long as I get an upward progression of improvement over time, I think I’m happy.”
I think that’s a Harvard way of sounding positive. I’m not sure, I went to a state college.
It is going to be a process, both for Lin to recover and for coach Kevin McHale and the Rockets to come up with lineups that work well.
In New York Lin was able to play pick-and-roll basketball with Tyson Chandler — one of the better pick-and-roll bigs in the league — and kick out to shooters like Steve Novak who would knock down shots. It played to his strengths. With Houston starting Omer Asik at center and Chandler Parsons on he wing, it’s not the same. It’s going to take time.
And it may well never be that perfect storm, lightning-in-a-bottle again. It can be good without being that.
But Lin and the Rockets need to keep working to get him and their offense up to good, because it’s not there yet.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 10
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 23
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 56
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 49
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65