Oct 17, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
Jeremy Lin has shot 21.1 percent through three preseason games.
He is coming off knee surgery and has not found his groove with the Rockets yet. He particularly struggled against the disciplined Spurs defense on Sunday. All this has led to smirks and some cowardly anonymous attacks out of New York, but the Rockets have been patient and called it a process.
“It’s frustrating,” Lin said. “Any time you don’t play as well as you think you’re capable of, it’s frustrating. I have to remember it’s a process. It’s not just going to happen overnight for me. I’m going to have to build and build step-by-step, brick by brick. As long as I get an upward progression of improvement over time, I think I’m happy.”
I think that’s a Harvard way of sounding positive. I’m not sure, I went to a state college.
It is going to be a process, both for Lin to recover and for coach Kevin McHale and the Rockets to come up with lineups that work well.
In New York Lin was able to play pick-and-roll basketball with Tyson Chandler — one of the better pick-and-roll bigs in the league — and kick out to shooters like Steve Novak who would knock down shots. It played to his strengths. With Houston starting Omer Asik at center and Chandler Parsons on he wing, it’s not the same. It’s going to take time.
And it may well never be that perfect storm, lightning-in-a-bottle again. It can be good without being that.
But Lin and the Rockets need to keep working to get him and their offense up to good, because it’s not there yet.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 1
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 6
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 13
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43