Oct 17, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT
This has not been a great playoffs for Alex Rodriguez, to the point he was benched for Game 3 of the American League Championship Series on Wednesday. You can see why — Rodriguez was 0-18 against right-handers in the playoffs and the Yankees were going up against probably the best right-hander in baseball in Justin Verlander.
Kobe Bryant has zero experience with being benched in the key games of a series. Or the key minutes of a game. Or really, being benched period.
But he’s a friend of Rodriguez so Kobe did what friends do and reached out to him a few days ago, according to ESPNLA.com. To talk to his friend as one of the few other people who can relate to being one of the best on the planet at a sport.
“I just say to him, ‘You’re Alex Rodriguez. You’re A-Rod. You’re one of the best to ever do it,’” Bryant said. “I think sometimes he kind of forgets that and wants to try to do the right thing all the time. Which is the right team attitude to have. But other times you really have to put your head down and say, ‘Hell with it’ and just do your thing.
“Hopefully the next game they’ll kind of give him a chance, maybe put him back at third and let him respond to the pressure, which I think he’ll do….
“We’re different,” Bryant said. “But you’re talking about, ‘He’s one of the best to ever play.’ I think really the difference is, sometimes he forgets he’s the best. … Where, I don’t.”
Nope. Kobe’s self confidence has never been in question. Ever.
That didn’t really help A-Rod, though. This all happened before he was benched for Game 3, another New York loss. And not much can help the Yankees right now.
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 11
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 46
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 38
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 80
- Report: Heat offer Chris Bosh full max contract to keep him from Rockets 26
- PBT Extra: LeBron James returns to Cleveland to try and cement legacy 18
- Deal set: Lakers trade for Jeremy Lin, which for L.A. is largely about draft pick (as is Gasol for Boozer idea) 36
- Carmelo Anthony still not ready to decide, but he needs to soon as options dry up 48