Kobe told A-Rod to remember he’s one of the best ever. Didn’t help.

Oct 17, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

This has not been a great playoffs for Alex Rodriguez, to the point he was benched for Game 3 of the American League Championship Series on Wednesday. You can see why — Rodriguez was 0-18 against right-handers in the playoffs and the Yankees were going up against probably the best right-hander in baseball in Justin Verlander.

Kobe Bryant has zero experience with being benched in the key games of a series. Or the key minutes of a game. Or really, being benched period.

But he’s a friend of Rodriguez so Kobe did what friends do and reached out to him a few days ago, according to ESPNLA.com. To talk to his friend as one of the few other people who can relate to being one of the best on the planet at a sport.

“I just say to him, ‘You’re Alex Rodriguez. You’re A-Rod. You’re one of the best to ever do it,'” Bryant said. “I think sometimes he kind of forgets that and wants to try to do the right thing all the time. Which is the right team attitude to have. But other times you really have to put your head down and say, ‘Hell with it’ and just do your thing.

“Hopefully the next game they’ll kind of give him a chance, maybe put him back at third and let him respond to the pressure, which I think he’ll do….

“We’re different,” Bryant said. “But you’re talking about, ‘He’s one of the best to ever play.’ I think really the difference is, sometimes he forgets he’s the best. … Where, I don’t.”

Nope. Kobe’s self confidence has never been in question. Ever.

That didn’t really help A-Rod, though. This all happened before he was benched for Game 3, another New York loss. And not much can help the Yankees right now.

1. lakerluver - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I sense haters in the vicinity.

2. jordanismyidol - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Hahahaha. Yanks are done

3. rodge1 - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Kobe told himself that last year, look how it worked out for the Lakers…

4. lakerluver - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Hey, rodge1, Kobe also told himself that FIVE other times, look how it worked then.

5. rodge1 - Oct 17, 2012 at 3:48 PM

@lakerluver
    True, but that’s when the Lakers were the best team. Not anymore

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Oct 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I will take those “5 times” anytime, as opposed to what? None at all? Sporadic wins with no back-to-back? One-heat wonders? Oh, my bad. I mean one-hit wonders.

6. badintent - Oct 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Saw A-Rodless interview on TSN. the guy is in denial !! But I give him the Oscar for acting.No emotion, even a few smiles, like he’s playing the reporter to put out a good spin for A-rod. He’s got a career working for the Odrama press team, they are real good at cooking the job rates, housing starts , etc complete BS. Just like our boy Alex.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches