Oct 17, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT
This has not been a great playoffs for Alex Rodriguez, to the point he was benched for Game 3 of the American League Championship Series on Wednesday. You can see why — Rodriguez was 0-18 against right-handers in the playoffs and the Yankees were going up against probably the best right-hander in baseball in Justin Verlander.
Kobe Bryant has zero experience with being benched in the key games of a series. Or the key minutes of a game. Or really, being benched period.
But he’s a friend of Rodriguez so Kobe did what friends do and reached out to him a few days ago, according to ESPNLA.com. To talk to his friend as one of the few other people who can relate to being one of the best on the planet at a sport.
“I just say to him, ‘You’re Alex Rodriguez. You’re A-Rod. You’re one of the best to ever do it,'” Bryant said. “I think sometimes he kind of forgets that and wants to try to do the right thing all the time. Which is the right team attitude to have. But other times you really have to put your head down and say, ‘Hell with it’ and just do your thing.
“Hopefully the next game they’ll kind of give him a chance, maybe put him back at third and let him respond to the pressure, which I think he’ll do….
“We’re different,” Bryant said. “But you’re talking about, ‘He’s one of the best to ever play.’ I think really the difference is, sometimes he forgets he’s the best. … Where, I don’t.”
Nope. Kobe’s self confidence has never been in question. Ever.
That didn’t really help A-Rod, though. This all happened before he was benched for Game 3, another New York loss. And not much can help the Yankees right now.
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 0
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36