Oct 17, 2012, 4:21 PM EST
That sound you hear is the Timberwolves playoff chances flushing away….
Kevin Love broke his hand working out at his condo building prior to the Timberwolves practice on Wednesday and is out six to eight weeks, tweets Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune. That would have Love back around Thanksgiving or a couple weeks later, but that could change depending upon what the New York hand specialist he is going to see says.
Love broke the 3rd and 4th metacarpal in his right (shooting) hand
— Jerry Zgoda(@JerryZgoda) October 17, 2012
In case you forgot, Love is one of the best fours in the game — he averaged 26 points and 13.3 rebounds a game last season for Minnesota, and was a member of the USA’s gold medal winning Olympic team in London this summer. He is the anchor of the Timberwolves on the court and the face of the franchise off it. So yes, they’re going to miss him.
With Ricky Rubio also out likely to around Christmas, injuries are really going to really hurt the Timberwolves playoff chances in a deep Western Conference. They are going to need Derrick Williams to step up big and have Andrei Kirilenko play at a near All-Star level to have any shot at the playoffs.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11