Oct 17, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
That sound you hear is the Timberwolves playoff chances flushing away….
Kevin Love broke his hand working out at his condo building prior to the Timberwolves practice on Wednesday and is out six to eight weeks, tweets Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune. That would have Love back around Thanksgiving or a couple weeks later, but that could change depending upon what the New York hand specialist he is going to see says.
Love broke the 3rd and 4th metacarpal in his right (shooting) hand
— Jerry Zgoda(@JerryZgoda) October 17, 2012
In case you forgot, Love is one of the best fours in the game — he averaged 26 points and 13.3 rebounds a game last season for Minnesota, and was a member of the USA’s gold medal winning Olympic team in London this summer. He is the anchor of the Timberwolves on the court and the face of the franchise off it. So yes, they’re going to miss him.
With Ricky Rubio also out likely to around Christmas, injuries are really going to really hurt the Timberwolves playoff chances in a deep Western Conference. They are going to need Derrick Williams to step up big and have Andrei Kirilenko play at a near All-Star level to have any shot at the playoffs.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 24
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14