Oct 17, 2012, 4:21 PM EST
That sound you hear is the Timberwolves playoff chances flushing away….
Kevin Love broke his hand working out at his condo building prior to the Timberwolves practice on Wednesday and is out six to eight weeks, tweets Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune. That would have Love back around Thanksgiving or a couple weeks later, but that could change depending upon what the New York hand specialist he is going to see says.
Love broke the 3rd and 4th metacarpal in his right (shooting) hand
— Jerry Zgoda(@JerryZgoda) October 17, 2012
In case you forgot, Love is one of the best fours in the game — he averaged 26 points and 13.3 rebounds a game last season for Minnesota, and was a member of the USA’s gold medal winning Olympic team in London this summer. He is the anchor of the Timberwolves on the court and the face of the franchise off it. So yes, they’re going to miss him.
With Ricky Rubio also out likely to around Christmas, injuries are really going to really hurt the Timberwolves playoff chances in a deep Western Conference. They are going to need Derrick Williams to step up big and have Andrei Kirilenko play at a near All-Star level to have any shot at the playoffs.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 9
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8