Oct 17, 2012, 10:16 PM EDT
What is a good shot?
One that is not contested. Statistically, the highest value shots are dunks/layups followed by corner threes. A good shot is a player getting tho his comfort spots on the floor — Tim Duncan with the 15-foot wing bank, Kobe Bryant from the elbow.
“It really comes down to if I make the shot, it’s a good shot,” Crawford said. “You know, you gotta be aggressive, regardless of what people are saying, how it is. You still gotta do you.”
“You still gotta do you” is my new mantra.
Crawford has put his definition to the test and been a gunner this preseason, which in theory is something the Wizards need until they get John Wall back. Except Crawford isn’t very efficient at it — he took 13.9 shots per game last season but shot 40 percent overall and 28 percent from three. Volume shooters who miss a lot end up on the bench. Or worse.
Especially when Bradley Beal is right behind them, waiting for minutes. Crawford is fighting for his job but this is not something he can shoot his way out of — unless he starts taking better shots. Either by his definition (he makes a lot more) or the coach’s (you know, actually good shots).
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 25
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 31
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 43
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42